Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:28 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Returning to the fold!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:06 pm 

gregwatson wrote:
Thanks guys.

I can't download the manual; it keeps hanging intermittently.
Will try again tomorrow perhaps.

Greg

Hi Greg :)

Cannells site has a few bandwidth problems , so keep trying, if you get absolutely stuck, message or email me at managingdirector@pchealthcare.co.uk and I will write them to CD for you and post them :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:08 pm 

Right, here's another

(rubs hands together)

I noticed a rocker switch mounted on the floor to the right of the driver's seat, with a large "S" on it. Any idea what that might be for?

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:12 pm 

gregwatson wrote:
Right, here's another

(rubs hands together)

I noticed a rocker switch mounted on the floor to the right of the driver's seat, with a large "S" on it. Any idea what that might be for?

Greg

Hi Greg :)

Hmm...not really as its NOT a standard switch, I would have to follow the wiring or you will lol...to find out where it goes.....

On the right of the drivers seat you should have 3 ROUND controls (by handbrake)

They are for ....Headlight load adjustment (NEVER works lol)....Front/Rear speaker fader (Sometimes WORKS lol) ....Rear hatch release (works when you fix it for a couple of weeks lol)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 am 

gregwatson wrote:

If it's down by the handbrake, rather than on the floor, then it may be part of the original Porsche-fitted alarm system to switch off the interior sensors; if you no longer have the original alarm fitted then it will probably do nothing.

Another possibility, although less common, is that some owners have been known to wire the kickdown switch under the accelerator to a separate switch, so that they can get the kickdown effect without having to slam the pedal to the floor.

Regarding the oil pressure, check the level as Brett has suggested, but don't be too concerned if the level is fine - it's probably just the grade of oil getting less viscous as it gets hotter, as long as you've got good oil pressure when the engine is under load (and bear in mind also that the gauge may not be reading accurately anyway) you're probably OK.

Regarding independents, if you're nearer the Hampshire bit of Hampshire/Surrey there's also Jon Mitchell in Bournemouth who I believe is used by many of the local TIPEC members.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:47 pm 

When I had my 928 GTS a few years back, I always thought it odd that it performed better on 95 RON fuel than on 98. Now I discover that the 928 S4 (at least) was designed for 95 RON petrol...

What is the current thinking on petrol for the 928 S4?

I once had a supercharged 600bhp Holden with a high compression ratio, and it definitely needed higher octane to avoid detonation (and the engine was tuned to expect 98). But that was a special case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 pm 

Hi Greg

I live in Surrey and when I had my 928 I always used Paul Anderson, it can be a great drive to Stroud :D
He's a top bloke and always got time for a chat and a cuppa

Although not so great when on the back of a truck (it's not a real 928 if you don't do it at least once :lol: )

Not sure where you live but at a guess not too far from Farnborough / Camberley.

We have the Thames Valley meet near Maidenhead on the first Tuesday of the month, why not bring the new toy along and say hi

PS
I've still got my multimeter if you ever need to borrow one :lol:

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:14 am 

gregwatson wrote:
When I had my 928 GTS a few years back, I always thought it odd that it performed better on 95 RON fuel than on 98. Now I discover that the 928 S4 (at least) was designed for 95 RON petrol...

What is the current thinking on petrol for the 928 S4?

The S4 onwards has knock sensors, so, as long as they're working, the later cars should be able to use either normal or super unleaded.

In which case there's no real need to use the higher octane fuels, unless you're happy to pay the higher price for one of the "ultimate" type ones because of the extra additives that are supposed to be in there to keep your engine cleaner.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:22 am 

jasongibson wrote:
Although not so great when on the back of a truck (it's not a real 928 if you don't do it at least once :lol: )

PS
I've still got my multimeter if you ever need to borrow one :lol:

:lol: