Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:34 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The NEW CREE LED Bulbs....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:14 pm 

TIPEC membership: 996
Practically on his doorstep!

2013 Panamera Platinum Diesel, White
Sold April 2013 2009 997 C2S Gen2, Arctic Silver
Sold Aug 2010 2002 996 Carrera, Polar Silver
Sold May 2004 2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:33 pm 

Paul Mabley wrote:
These look very good if they are MOT compliant, my CREE LED bike lights are superb.

What sort of costs are they?

Do they do H7 size too as our Subaru uses these?

Hi Paul :)

Well, my MOT is on the 22nd ...so I will let you all know lol....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:47 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4917
Paul Mabley wrote:
These look very good if they are MOT compliant, my CREE LED bike lights are superb.

What sort of costs are they?

Do they do H7 size too as our Subaru uses these?

Hi Paul
Yes they do H7 as well plus motorbike sets too.

The costs are:-
H4 complete set - High/low beam £79 +p&p special discount for TIPEC & 928.org members
H7 complete set - single beam £75 +p&p

I have taken mine over to oour local MOT ststion & the tester said they shoul pass any MOT as they are not HID and the light falls compeltely within the MOT test unit pass lines.

Let me know if you have any more questions. bizman928@hotmail.co.uk / woodypeck@outlook.com

Thanks
Steve
Bizman928

MY88 928 S4 Auto - Black, RMB, LED Front lights Upgrade & Interior LED bulbs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 pm 

Paul Mabley wrote:

Thanks Paul - well its close 141 miles and a 2 1/4 hour drive. But confirm the date and I will see if I can make it down with a business call close by. Can always put a box load of bulbs in the boot of the works daily driver and we can do a test fit on someones donor car so you can see just how good they are. They only take 5 mins to fit.

Steve
bizman928

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 pm 

Bizman928 wrote:
Paul Mabley wrote:

Thanks Paul - well its close 141 miles and a 2 1/4 hour drive. But confirm the date and I will see if I can make it down with a business call close by. Can always put a box load of bulbs in the boot of the works daily driver and we can do a test fit on someones donor car so you can see just how good they are. They only take 5 mins to fit.

Steve
bizman928

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17469

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:26 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:
bmjb wrote:
That's certainly an improvement, but I thought that LED replacement bulbs aren't approved for external lights and therefore technically an MOT fail?

Hi :)

I think not..maybe its HIDS without self levelling you are thinking about ?

MOT on the 24th so will find out lol :)

Not just HIDs - most "official" UK based businesses selling online (i.e. not eBay or Amazon Marketplace sellers) state that external LED bulbs are for show use only.

Whether your average MOT tester cares what bulb is used (provided it works) is beside the point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 pm 

bmjb wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:
bmjb wrote:
That's certainly an improvement, but I thought that LED replacement bulbs aren't approved for external lights and therefore technically an MOT fail?

I think not..maybe its HIDS without self levelling you are thinking about ?

MOT on the 24th so will find out lol :)

Not just HIDs - most "official" UK based businesses selling online (i.e. not eBay or Amazon Marketplace sellers) state that external LED bulbs are for show use only.

Whether your average MOT tester cares what bulb is used (provided it works) is beside the point.

Not sure of the legalities... I will ask my MOT tester....after the MOT lol..

I am not sure that the MOT specifies which SORT of bulb, and these things are so new, I somehow doubt the regulations have caught up yet....

But I could be wrong :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:18 am 

I think the the wording of external led bulbs is/ was relating to the fitment of extra running lights.

Led bulbs that are bright enough for Headlamps are relatively new. As long as the bulb gives a correct amount of light, in the right beam pattern and correct colour.

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 pm 

Just to help everyone here and clear up some points for accuracy & fact. I will leave everyone to make their own judgements once armed with all the facts.

- The first surprise is that under UK Law for Highways & Construction, All HID lights Gas discharge lights of any kind are illegal so ALL Audi, BMW, Volvo cars etc. are illegal under UK law - but it is well documented that this law is out of date and needs rewriting as it was written before most new lighting technologies were even thought of in R&D stage it is so old. So All the new Audi, BMW, Volvo, etc. cars with HID, LED or projector lights are legal in the UK because of "European Type Approval" from the car manufacturers and this overrides UK law under the harmonised EU regulations that the UK chooses to allow to override the UK law.

Individual Vehicle Approval Manual (IVA Manual)
LED bulbs being used for Headlights are actually mentioned in the IVA Manual section 4 - which VOSA has to abide by under UK law and they can be used. LED headlights can be used as long as the Headlight casement itself is covered by Type Approval ECU98 and be E marked - which all our headlights are from the manufacturer. HID headlights come with a clear outer lens and that is where the problem of light scatter comes into play.

Irrespective of what "most official" sellers online may have views on - this is only their view and in now way constitutes the Law or its accuracy.

There is no letter of law or restriction from VOSA which states you cannot put more side lights, or Daylight running lights on any vehicle - just that you have to put them on in pairs and they cannot be more than 850mm off the ground.

The IVA manual has just been re-written to include reference to "Gas Discharge Headlamps and LED Headlamps" because the Auto industry is moving to these lights as standard fitments over the next few years. The Self levelling situation seems to have been relaxed now for HID's so that it can be manual levelling inside the car and LED lights as a conversion are stated to be allowed under section 4 within specific conditions

The truth of the matter is that there are several laws which are out of date and have been superseded that state you cannot update any Headlights to HID or LED on New or old cars nor can any New car have these lights! But Eu law takes precedent over these out of date UK law and now the IVM has been updated to give a more up to date review of how the new technology is coming through. The main problem seems to be that the technology is moving so fast that the legislation is not changing fast enough to keep up.

So that's what I have found sifting thought millions of websites & laws. There are a lot of confusing comments & views out there on the forums so you need to review the latest most up to date documents from VOSA, the IVA and EU law and then make you mind up from that point.