Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:19 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New forum member Old 928s many woes and lots of parts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:02 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Brett,

There used to be a yellow one about locally a few years ago and it did look good, However I will stick to the original colour as planned, being a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these things I would have to paint the engine bay and all the other sometimes noticeable bits and that would involve too much work !

Regards Jezzy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:30 am 

Hi Jezzy :)

It will look great with all that bodywork before the spray job....

I used to know a custom sprayer,,,his favourite saying was "its 99% in the preparation and 1% in the actual final spray"

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:45 pm 

Hi Guys

More photos! I was pleased with the result from welding up and grinding down a couple of small rust holes on the near side rear wheel-arch I was expecting major blow out problems but to my surprise everything went well and within an hour both holes were welded and ground.

A major concern of mine was the small pin holes left in the panel's after welding I had tried to re-weld as many of these as I could but on holding a bright light behind the repair minute pin pricks of light continually cursed me ,After a bit of research on the net I found this to be a common problem with MIG welders especially mine being around 20 years old ! I was worried that these holes would be a weak point allowing moisture to eventually penetrate the panels causing premature failure. The best solution I found was to lead fill the panels as the lead completely fills the holes ,So began my first attempt at the Dark art of lead loading ,My verdict "piece of cake"

See the results below Sorry the pictures are in the wrong order again !!! Go from the bottom up...

Happy days Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: All sanded and looking good!
ALLMOST DONEE.JPG
ALLMOST DONEE.JPG [ 94.9 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
File comment: Lead applied and smoothed
Lead applied.JPG
Lead applied.JPG [ 116.42 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
File comment: All cleaned and tinned ready for lead
Tinned.JPG
Tinned.JPG [ 109.01 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
File comment: A couple of small holes patched and ground with great results !
Welded filled.JPG
Welded filled.JPG [ 138.14 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm 

Hi all,,,

Did a bit more lead loading tonight, Went well apart from blow-torching my finger!! managed to get the lead into some difficult spots, Just a bit of filing to do before a thin skim of filler

Attachments:
File comment: Sorted!!
lead loaded.JPG
lead loaded.JPG [ 138.07 KiB | Viewed 7911 times ]
File comment: I surprised myself how well I got the lead into the tricky areas
difficult to reach areas.JPG
difficult to reach areas.JPG [ 116.84 KiB | Viewed 7911 times ]
File comment: Fully cleaned area ready to lead after tinning
Before lead.JPG
Before lead.JPG [ 89.98 KiB | Viewed 7911 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:32 pm 

Hi Guys

A few more pics of the resto.I have treated any rust spots under the drivers side wheel arch and seam sealed and stone chipped the repairs then a couple of coats of white rustolium to tidy everything up and add a bit of water resistance .the bracket that supported the overspill fuel tank had rusted away so I made a new one from a piece of stainless I had laying around and I have made it multifunctional as I intend to fabricate a mud/splash guard to help protect and stop the crud build up around the fuel filler pipe area ,Why Porsche had not originally designed this in the first place dumbfounds me as this seems to be the area worst affected by corrosion on most 928s!

Regards Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: All cleaned up and shiny!
S5030482.JPG
S5030482.JPG [ 124.03 KiB | Viewed 7890 times ]
File comment: New multifunction support bracket
S5030481.JPG
S5030481.JPG [ 131.92 KiB | Viewed 7890 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm 

Hi Guys

A lot of the water leak problems into the car I am now sure were due to the bad replacement of the drivers side quarter-light ,The window had been broken at some point and the rubber seal and glass replaced without the original sealer being removed or a new sealer applied ! This window was relatively easy to remove ,The other side however was a complete bugger taking several hours mainly due to the still good seal that the original mastic provided .

Jezzy..

Attachments:
File comment: Window out!!
S5030484.JPG
S5030484.JPG [ 100.18 KiB | Viewed 7876 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 am 

Hi :)

I must say I admire your work ethic,,,,thats a HUGE amount of work...so well done :)

If you get bored when you have finished...there is always mine to do lol....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 am 

Hi Brett

Thanks for the support and the positive remarks! The reason I am being a little Pedantic is that I the last thing I want after all the hard work is in a couple of years I start seeing rust streaks appearing from under the spoilers or the paint starting to bubble, so for that reason I am being as thorough as my time-scale allows . I estimate that in the last three weeks I have spent around 60-80 hours on the car in my spare time and weekends, and in the last 18 months prior to getting the car in my garage another 120-150 hours refurbishing all the bits I have stripped of ! It started just wanting to get the car back on the road and now I want it looking like new! (All Ben's fault for coming round and showing me his car !!) I am starting to fill and prep now an if all goes well I should be priming in the next couple of weeks,

More pics to follow ,,,Jezzy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6915
Hi Jezza

Great work! - It's making me feel tired just looking at the pictures. :shock:

I was wondering what you're going to do about replacing the rear quarter seals? I didn't think they were available for the S2 last time I looked?

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 pm 

Hi Ben,, I thought you had vanished off the face of the earth! One of my seals is the s type with the spoiler rubber bit the other is the s4 style ,Both seals are in good condition with no splits so I will clean them up and treat them with some rubber treatment stuff I have .The leakage problems I have had I think was due to some Idiot not cleaning off the mastic and re-sealing the unit with new mastic when the seal and glass was replaced,the other near side with the original rubber was still watertight and had never been removed.

On a different note Ben ,Do you know where I can get the little top hat grommets that make the seal between the sill clips that you gave me for the plastic sill plates and the and the metal threshold underneath and also the plastic clips that hold the side rub strips in place ?,I cant seem to find any

All the best Jezzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 am 

Hi Guys , Just a few more pics , Started to get the filler on the rear quarter ,Turned out to be a bit tricky getting those gentle curves and coach line above the fuel filler cap just right. Started with Upol filler then onto Top-stop for a finer finish, Fitted the bumper cover to check the alignment and so far so good!

Jezzy

Attachments:
First fill.JPG
First fill.JPG [ 83.22 KiB | Viewed 7845 times ]
TOP STOP.JPG
TOP STOP.JPG [ 91.62 KiB | Viewed 7845 times ]
good alignment.JPG
good alignment.JPG [ 126.25 KiB | Viewed 7845 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:59 pm 

Hi Guys , A few more pics! Finally managed to get the curves on the rear quarter closer to how they should look, I should be able to perfect them when I prep the other side as it has been stripped of paint in the same area and its difficult to see without the paint to compare how the slight radius should look on the repaired side. I acid etched the repair and applied a couple of coats of high build primer and a guide coat to enable me to flat it and better shape the slight coach line not easy for a novice but I am happy with the results.

I have started to prep the doors, the bump strips were a bit of a bugger to remove especially the door ones as I had not realised that the strip was fastened with a bolt at the lock end! After a bit of a struggle with a trim removal tool it came off with a bang and I then realised that I had mad a blunder, Luckily no permanent damage was done and I had learned a lesson.

The stone chip paint on the bottom of the drivers door had bubbled a little and had to be removed in places ,I had done a bit of research on the net on the subject but had come up with very little as to whether I could remove just the effected areas and make a patch repair .In the end I decided to play it safe and remove the lot !

Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: A bit a pain in the ass job, but better to remove the lot in the long run!
stone chip removed.JPG
stone chip removed.JPG [ 70.91 KiB | Viewed 7815 times ]
File comment: After many hours of pains-taking labour I am almost happy with the results
High build primer on.JPG
High build primer on.JPG [ 77.68 KiB | Viewed 7815 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:47 pm 

Hi Guys .. Got the fuel tank back in today and also the expansion tank complete with new mounting bracket for the fabricated rear petrol tank inner wheel arch cover, a bit of new pipe and new pipe clips and all is looking good . I also decide to tackle the repair on the rear hatch and I managed to complete the welding ,grinding and leading within a couple of hours it seems that I am starting to get the knack of it now and well up to speed ,Sods law as this was the last of the welding repairs!!,,The only thing worrying me was the rear hatch glass being so close to the repair and the heat generated by the welding and the leading ,I managed to reduce this by placing wet tee-shirts on the glass and tucking them into the little gully at the bottom of the hatch and also placing another underneath , It wasn't the heat breaking the glass I was worried about so much as the sealant between the glass and frame loosing its bond.

Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: The new hatch was good except for a small patch of rust around the wiper assembly ,My old hatch had rust holes everywhere except around the wiper assembly so at least I had a donor section!
Preparing for repair.JPG
Preparing for repair.JPG [ 137.86 KiB | Viewed 7785 times ]
File comment: The repair piece had to be positioned perfectly as the rear wiper assembly would not fit
Exact positioning.JPG
Exact positioning.JPG [ 121.75 KiB | Viewed 7785 times ]
Tacked ground and cleaned.JPG
Tacked ground and cleaned.JPG [ 129.29 KiB | Viewed 7785 times ]
File comment: Lead loaded and de-fluxed ready for a thin coat of filler
Leaded and ready to fill.JPG
Leaded and ready to fill.JPG [ 134.44 KiB | Viewed 7785 times ]
File comment: Tanks in and looking good ,shame it wont stay that way
Looking tidy.JPG
Looking tidy.JPG [ 125.03 KiB | Viewed 7785 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:01 am 

Hi Guys

A few more pics of my progress and also a couple of improvements, I had discovered that I was missing the cover that protects the jump-start terminal and the 12 pin plug from water running under the bonnet into the engine bay,I had bid on one on ebay and lost it so I decided to make one from a bit of polycarbonate I had laying around ,a few minutes later after a coat of black satin spray it was fitted and I am happy with the result .Also I had decided to make a rear inner mud flap to protect the rear wing petrol flap area from stone chips something that for some reason Porsche had decided not to bother with but as this is a common corrosion area on these cars I decided it was a necessary improvement ,I will be giving this the same black satin treatment !

Attachments:
Jump start cover.JPG
Jump start cover.JPG [ 111.94 KiB | Viewed 7724 times ]
Fabricated.JPG
Fabricated.JPG [ 117.33 KiB | Viewed 7724 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:16 am 

Hi there

A few more pics of the badly water damaged boot area. After 7 years of water getting into the car it was in a real state and needed a clean up!

Attachments:
File comment: Looking tatty!!
Boot sound deadening.JPG
Boot sound deadening.JPG [ 103.3 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]
Good as new.JPG
Good as new.JPG [ 109.72 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]
All cleaned up.JPG
All cleaned up.JPG [ 80.45 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]
Battery box.JPG
Battery box.JPG [ 98.18 KiB | Viewed 7735 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next