Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:33 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New forum member Old 928s many woes and lots of parts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Guys..

I will start posting pics as soon as I get the car into my garage which is very close now .After my chat with Ben I have decided to start the prep for painting first as I think I have about three months of good spraying temperatures and I do not want to get into a situation where I have to wait months for warm weather to come round again because I have been messing around with " all weather" Mechanical jobs like my timing belt and water-pump etc, As I think I have said before most of the interior is now removed and has been refurbished almost as good as new, I have straightened all the door cards and rear 1/4 panels and re-glued and stapled the vinyl as and where needed,All the interior and exterior plastic and rubber seals and trim pieces have been removed ,Scrubbed clean and treated then bagged ready to re-fix. Carpets have been cleaned and re-dyed as required . I have also obtained some boat canvas to fabricate a replacement for the perished boot cover. Regarding the prep on the car for paint. I am hoping that as the car is in an un-dented state ,that I will be able to prep a panel every 1-2 evenings,The main problem I have is that in some areas mainly in the stone-chip the paint has lifted on the aluminium panels due to water penetration but the majority of the work is just roughing up the existing paint for the new paint to adhere to. Once all the dusty work is done I intend to create a spray booth within my garage using Mono-flex tarpaulin, (This is the stuff that is used to clad scaffolding) , I have managed to get hold of a few air-con filters and at present I am working on a extraction system. As space is an issue in the garage I am planning to spray in several stages as I think problems will occur if I try to do the whole car in one go,I intend to do all the shuts first then the rest hopefully in three nights ,1 st night .. Roof ,bonnet and boot, 2nd night ..Near side, 3rd night Offside ,and somewhere between rear and front bumper covers!! I have spent the last month or so trawling Ebay buying everything I need to complete the task in hand as once I start I really don't want to be held up buy not having the right "tools" for the job..

All the best Jezzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6915
Hi Jezza - I hope the painting is going well?

I found these clips in my spares >

They locate the sill cover to the sill top, 6 per side - do you want them?

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 pm 

Hi Guys

long time no posting! Last year was a total washout as the 928 went, I kept delaying getting the car into my garage and before I knew it it was too late in the year to paint and I gave up.. Well apart from the main carcass of the car I had removed loads of parts cleaned and restored them as required and stored them away,I have spent many hours restoring my seats and carpets to a nearly new condition and all those other little trim bits that make the final result just that little bit better. On top of that I have been buying bits and pieces on Ebay its amazing what you can save if your not desperate for parts and you can afford to bide your time ,Dizzy cap £20 ,rotor arm £10 the list goes on. Well the good news is I have managed to borrow a towing dolly and hopefully I have found a place to store all my other garaged junk so hopefully the car will be in the garage in the next couple of weeks

Posting soon....Jezzy

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:59 pm 

Hi Guys, Picked up the towing dolly today and will spend the next few days clearing the garage, I am hoping to have it clear and the car in by next weekend, I have been redoing a few bits lately mainly the drivers seat I had restored it previously but I wanted it better as big hole in the bolster I had repaired was far from invisible and it was bugging me,I bought some leather filler and dye and also some acrylic finishing lacquer and considering the seat was severely water damaged, dried out and had a hole in it you could put your hand in I don't think it came out to bad! I still have to do the passenger seat and I will document and post the whole process

More soon Jezzy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:59 am 

Hi Guys

Finally after much effing about I have finally got the 928 into my garage , After an aborted attempt last night single handedly trying to load the car onto a towing dolly and having the cable break scaring the crap out of me as the car shot off the ramps! the second attempt today was just as stressful with the dolly buckling under the weight,sliding about creaking and generally making horrible noises that you don't need to hear as your pride and joy balances precariously half on and half off the loading ramps! The two mile tow went smoothly with many heads turning as we went, Unloading went well then the following 90 minutes zig-zagging a 1.5 ton car with half seized brakes from a narrow alleyway into the garage with a five inch kerb was a complete Ba@@tard, but with the help of a couple of volunteers and a 1000 kg chain winch there was only ever going to be one outcome ! I will be posting pics as I progress

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:57 am 

Hi Guys , If all goes well I will be downloading loads of pics to show you my progress with the car ,Been having a few problems resizing pics ,But here goes...

Attachments:
File comment: Window out , rust to be sorted
get-attachment.jpg
get-attachment.jpg [ 170.7 KiB | Viewed 8977 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 pm 

Hi Guys ,, A few bodywork pics , I have done enough grinding to last me a life time and there's more to come! I have clocked up 40 hours in the first week working on the car and that's evenings and weekends so I am hoping if I keep up the pace I shall be ready to start the bodywork prep in the next week or so...,Happy days!

Attachments:
File comment: Piece by piece , I have spent around 8 hours on this repair alone , Will the grinding ever end!
jjhgfx.jpg
jjhgfx.jpg [ 222.19 KiB | Viewed 8958 times ]
File comment: A few rust holes removed leaving this!!
cvytdrt.jpg
cvytdrt.jpg [ 231.76 KiB | Viewed 8958 times ]
File comment: Let the grinding begin
S5030448.JPG
S5030448.JPG [ 187.93 KiB | Viewed 8958 times ]
File comment: But I wanted to be thorough and I was not happy with the state of the metal on the inside,. So it had to go..
S5030447.JPG
S5030447.JPG [ 172.32 KiB | Viewed 8958 times ]
File comment: Started as a small rust hole,
S5030443.JPG
S5030443.JPG [ 177.06 KiB | Viewed 8958 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:32 pm 

Hi Guys , A few more pics ,This time of the repairs to my rotten fuel tank cradle , Started off trying to do a proper restoration job but realised after about 5 hours cutting, bending, welding and grinding that life's too short to spend at least another 5 hours getting something perfect that does not get seen, So out with the filler!! The rotten metal had been over-clad and reinforced as also has one of the straps ,but to save time a small amount of plastic filler employed to make it look tidy,Once the weld-over repairs where completed I removed as much of the rusted steel from the inside,rust treated it ,applied seam sealer and painted with several coats of green hammerite (only colour I had) ,Should be good for a few years yet.

Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: Common problm on the 928
S5030425.JPG
S5030425.JPG [ 205.78 KiB | Viewed 8940 times ]
File comment: Started well with the fabrication
S5030430.JPG
S5030430.JPG [ 237.1 KiB | Viewed 8940 times ]
File comment: More bending and welding!!
S5030428.JPG
S5030428.JPG [ 242.06 KiB | Viewed 8940 times ]
File comment: Finished result
S5030458.JPG
S5030458.JPG [ 171.79 KiB | Viewed 8940 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:55 pm 

Hi Jezzy :)

I understand why you tried to repair that , but that bad rust is still under that paint....

Considering how close that is to your exhaust, I would consider it too big a risk...

My cradle was somewhat worse than yours and failed an MOT when the left hand strap broke because of rust and dropped that side of the tank without my knowledge.... I was horrified when the MOT guy (who was a friend of mine) showed me how close the dropped side was to the right hand side exhaust pipe..:(

I replaced mine with a Paul Anderson one... stainless steel and plastic....so it will never need replacing again....

Pauls one is REALLY well designed...it took around 90 minutes to get my VERY rusty one off.... and around 10 minutes to fit Pauls one....I was REALLY impressed with its design and quality....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:16 am 

Hi Brett, The exhaust luckily is not a problem on my car as I have had the rear silencer removed and the two new stainless pipes are on the opposite side , I will however keep your suggestion in mind for the future ,How much are pauls ones ?

Many thanks Jezzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:23 am 

jezzyjet wrote:
Hi Brett, The exhaust luckily is not a problem on my car as I have had the rear silencer removed and the two new stainless pipes are on the opposite side , I will however keep your suggestion in mind for the future ,How much are pauls ones ?

Many thanks Jezzy

I paid around £200 A few years ago.... here is a link to pic and current price from Pauls site.... >>> http://www.nixsoft-consulting.co.uk/928 ... d=products

I must say I admire the amount of work you are putting into the body... I had corrosion in all the same places and put it off for years lol (I hate doing bodywork) and luckily for me the guys who did my Chrome wrap HAD to get rid of my corrosion first :)

Keep up with the pics too....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 am 

Hi Brett ,The welding and grinding is doing my f$$$ing head in!!, I have done around 40+ plus hours in my spare time in the last week and a half and the grinding has been a large proportion of that, the repair around the petrol cap alone has probably taken 10 hours and still not quite done, I am however hoping to have all welding sorted by the weekend so I will be on the prep for paint by next week, The spraying window for a home garage Diy job is short if perfect conditions are to be utilised ,I want to have paint on in the next six to ten weeks otherwise I will probably have to wait till next year and I don't want that so I am concentrating on body-work , Water-pumps can get fitted in the cold , Paint cant !!

Jezzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 am 

jezzyjet wrote:
Hi Brett ,The welding and grinding is doing my f$$$ing head in!!, I have done around 40+ plus hours in my spare time in the last week and a half and the grinding has been a large proportion of that, the repair around the petrol cap alone has probably taken 10 hours and still not quite done, I am however hoping to have all welding sorted by the weekend so I will be on the prep for paint by next week, The spraying window for a home garage Diy job is short if perfect conditions are to be utilised ,I want to have paint on in the next six to ten weeks otherwise I will probably have to wait till next year and I don't want that so I am concentrating on body-work , Water-pumps can get fitted in the cold , Paint cant !!

Jezzy

What colour are you going to paint it ? Original or something new ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:10 am 

Hi Brett, It will have to be the original Chiffon white , I did toy with the idea of painting it Lamborghini orange as I remember seeing one in that colour and it looked great ,But metallics are difficult to spray especially for a novice !

Jezzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 am 

jezzyjet wrote:
Hi Brett, It will have to be the original Chiffon white , I did toy with the idea of painting it Lamborghini orange as I remember seeing one in that colour and it looked great ,But metallics are difficult to spray especially for a novice !

Jezzy

How about bright yellow ?

I have seen one and thought it looked really good....of course there is always CHROME paint lol :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next