Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LED Bulbs
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:24 pm 

mark280 wrote:
Good morning guys,
I'm curious, is their any reason why I can't have my main headlights just pop up when I want to use them?
It would be nicer when using the side lights not to have the main light up!

Then I'd like to fit some brighter bulbs for the side lights.

Thanx for looking

Atb Mark

Hi MARK :)

Ummm thats how they do work...

Turn the headlight switch ONE click to the right and you get sidelights ONLY...

Turn the headlight switch TWO clicks to the right and the headlights pop up and are on dipped beam...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Brett, mine don't ! They pop up on the first click of the light switch/knob

I guess their wired wrong lol

Thanx Mark

the old girl is a 11/11/1986 when i brought her it was sold as a s4 but im not sure now.

Last edited by mark280 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:55 pm 

Hi Mark :)

They MUST be wired wrongly...

The first twist/click to the right SHOULD just put on sidelights and a "Parking Lights" green writing appears bottom left of the dash...

The second click/twist to the right SHOULD pop up the headlights and turn them on and the "writing" goes away...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Brett928S2 wrote:

The first twist/click to the right SHOULD just put on sidelights and a "Parking Lights" green writing appears bottom left of the dash...

The second click/twist to the right SHOULD pop up the headlights and turn them on and the "writing" goes away...

Up to a point Lord Copper (or Lord Brett!).

Mark it would be useful to know your model year. Many details of 928 - including lighting arrangements - changed from year to year. Sometimes this was in response to prevailing legislation for newly registered cars.

My previous 928 was a 1988 MY. The lights popped up with sidelights at first click of switch which was correct for that year. The lights were then at "town beam" brightness.

My current 1991 MY behaves like Brett's - sidelights only at first click, 2nd click required to raise headlights.

Much of this behaviour controlled by the big double lighting relay in top right area of CE panel. Can't give precise relay position numbher as naturally this too varied with model year!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
The 944 for model year 1987 (IIRC) did the same, on sidelights the lights popped up, I think I read somewhere it was for American law, so was used across the board

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:09 pm 

stratfordshark wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:

Up to a point Lord Copper (or Lord Brett!).

Mark it would be useful to know your model year. Many details of 928 - including lighting arrangements - changed from year to year. Sometimes this was in response to prevailing legislation for newly registered cars.

My previous 928 was a 1988 MY. The lights popped up with sidelights at first click of switch which was correct for that year. The lights were then at "town beam" brightness.

My current 1991 MY behaves like Brett's - sidelights only at first click, 2nd click required to raise headlights.

Much of this behaviour controlled by the big double lighting relay in top right area of CE panel. Can't give precise relay position numbher as naturally this too varied with model year!

Hi ADRIAN :)

Ah...I didnt realise different years did different things with headlights....

Having said that, almost every problem with headlights I ever had was that damn huge double relay, so it may be worth borrowing one from another car to see if it makes any difference....

You are welcome to borrow mine if you are anywhere near here (Bournemouth) ??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 pm 

Bizman928 wrote:
I have changed a few 928's front side lights to LED strip lights like the Audi etc.
Have sold a couple of dozen of these kits to 928ers for £28.95

See photo below.

Let me know if your interested.

Cheers
Steve
bizman928@hotmail.co.uk

Hi, if these kits are easy to fit I'd love one. Please let me know?
Atb Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am 

TIPEC membership: 4917
Hi Mark

This is typically year dependant as well as Country dependant but can be changed.
Mine came up on MY88 when I first got it. There is a small 3 pin connector above the fuse board on the far left side of the footwell which has a jumper wire across it. If you move the jumper position it will give you what you are looking for.

I will find the original post and send it to you so you can get it working how you want to.

Cheers
Steve

mark280 wrote:
Good morning guys,
I'm curious, is their any reason why I can't have my main headlights just pop up when I want to use them?
It would be nicer when using the side lights not to have the main light up!

Then I'd like to fit some brighter bulbs for the side lights.

Thanx for looking

Atb Mark

MY88 928 S4 Auto - Black, RMB, LED Front lights Upgrade & Interior LED bulbs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:43 pm 

Here you go.
Here is the Rennlist link when I had the same problem with photo's & how to rectify!

Let me know how you go on.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/9 ... ights.html

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 pm 

Bizman928 wrote:
Here you go.
Here is the Rennlist link when I had the same problem with photo's & how to rectify!

Steve

Steve, thats amazing i will have a look after work tomorrow.

All the very best Mark
i was begining to think id brought the wrong car, but the more things i sort out the more i love her.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 pm 

lindsayhbrown wrote:
The 944 for model year 1987 (IIRC) did the same, on sidelights the lights popped up, I think I read somewhere it was for American law, so was used across the board

Can't blame the Americans this time Lindsay!

It was for UK cars only in response to specific legislation 1987-89 regarding "dim dip" lights.

At least that was case for 928s. In the parts list there is variation in headlight relays for different markets, and we had one listed for GB. The headlight behaviour was governed by this relay in conjunction with a coding plug.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 am 

No Problem Mark

As usual Adrian is spot on with his account.

I have copied this account from "Hilton's" email he sent to me. Another great supporter of the 928 marque down in Australcolour[color=#00colour"This is common behaviour for UK cars from 87-89 (and only UK cars). There was a bit of legislation introduced by the UK govt which remained in effect from 87 to 89 (I think possibly 1/1/1989) that required the headlights to come on dimly with the driving lights.

Its known as the "dim dip option" on the UK list.

There's a coding plug for the headlights, Its a 3-pin plug with a loop joining two of the pins, and IIRC, changing which pins are bridged will affect this behaviour. There's also a specific headlight relay for Great British cars (928 618 107 01) for this, from 87-89, along with a separate voltage regulator which provides the low voltage current in switch positcolour. "colouror]

Here is another Rennlist link for the same problem. And lots of help from our own John Speake from JDS in Cambridge. A great supporter of 928's and all electrical gremlins and more. John has been a wealth of knowledge and amazing support for me, and others, as we battle through owning a 928 and keeping her on the road.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/9 ... oblem.html

In fact, there are 3 people who I would make sure you get in contact with as you progress along your way of 928 ownership & they are;
Paul Anderson in Stroud - the UK's premier 928 mechanic and 928 racer,
Richard Armstrong in Devizes - remanufactured 928 engineering parts and 928 racer
John Speake in Cambridge - the worlds premier 928 electronics and engine management Guru!

These three guys keep the 928's alive. Also keep your eye on 928.org.uk website forum for some help. The guys above are all on there as well.

Hope that helps

Have fun & let us know how you get on.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:14 pm 

Steve has highlighted the 3 musketeers of the 928 world!

Would only add that as well as fabricating various 928 parts including modfied exhausts, Richard is the expert on 928 air conditioning. Take a look at his website Ritech Systems for the services he offers 928 owners in diagnosing aircon probs, fixing them, converting gases...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:56 pm 

Thank you guys,

My baby is going for a service Saturday, just hope some of the smaller faults get sorted. My air con dosnt work, and I guess it's going to cost a fortune to get sorted.

The more small bits I manage to sort out the more I love the old girl

All the best Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 pm 

Bizman928 wrote:
Here you go.

Steve

Steve, I joined Rennlist and found the pic etc very useful, but I couldn't find /see the terminal block on my car. But she's a 1986 car so maybe different.

Dose anyone know if theirs another way of stopping the main lights poping up on the first turn of the light switch?

Once again, THANK YOU GUYS all the best Mark