Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:41 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944 Daily Driver
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:37 pm 

Hello everyone,

I was given a lift in a 944 year ago and loved it, so after a little while lurking in the background on the forum it's time to bite the bullet and consider a buying a 944 :)

After looking on Fleabay I've found a back copy of the 911 & Porsche Owners magazine which has a buying guide so that's my weekend reading taken care of... I think I'd prefer an Oval dash from '86 or so onwards, outright speed isn't too important :shock:, but handling is, so I think I'd be happy with 160bhp.

I would be keen to hear from people for whom their car is a daily driver -I drive 60 miles a day in the Lake District (A595 & A66 for anyone with local knowledge!) including the Scalextic dual carriageway on the A66 to the west of Keswick :)

I suppose I have boring questions about comfort, fuel economy and maintenance costs (She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks that my Mondeo (Zzzzzzzzz) is a "good, sensible car") but having previouly owning an MGB Roadster, Volvo 850 T5 and a 3-ton Land Rover, my current car is just too dull :(

It will take a lot of brownie points to change cars but, armed with some useful real life experiences for folk who use theirs everyday, then fingers crossed...

Thank you,
Andrew.

1969 Land Rover Series 2a ex-RAF Ambulance
2002 Ford Mondeo (Zzzzzzzzzzz)

Post subject: Re: 944 Daily Driver
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:39 pm 

I have recently bought a 944 as a daily driver and have to say it's one of the best things I've done. I was initially looking at SAAB's, FOCUS's and Fiesta ST's and then remembered that just before I bought my first elise I was thinking of a 944 (at the time they were 12-15K cars) but wanted the elise so went for it.

So I ended up looking at 17 944's and they ranged from piles of crap to really good ones but not quite right for me (so be prepared for it to take some time and don't rush). My thoughts are based on only 1 months ownership.

As for driving it every day, I probably only do 6K a year in it and about 6K per year in my elise (thus it would be a 12K a year car if it was my only one). I was finally happy that I'd found a good one. I paid 5K from a dealer which include cambelt change and full 12K mile service (plus the fixing of the odd thing here and there - washer jets replaced,etc) and have already blown another 1K having the cam chain/tensioner/waterpump/new brake pads done - probably didn't need it but wanted to know I had done everything required to run it as a daily driver with no fear, so in my opinion it was a good solution if nothing goes wrong (and then at least the missus can't moan that I bought an old car)

I LOVE MY 944 S2. It's fast, comfortable, the only thing I find ever so slightly frustrating is the boot space (it needs to be about another 1.5 inches deeper for normal 'stuff' - what ever that may be. You can't own this car and not keep it well looked after so treat it like your mistress and it will treat you well! I'm getting 25-28 mpg which hurts after 40mpg in my elise to be honest, but you soon start getting used to it and the experience is worth every additional penny spent over a mondeo or clio anyday.

The seats are comfy, every so often I find my back aches but it comes and goes and I blame 5 years of using the elise as the main reason my back hurts anyway! Steering is smooth and accurate, wipers are NOT good by modern standards in my opinion but the do their job ok during a rainfall, just a bit noisy. Rear seats are usable for small people but NOT a space for adults unless they work for the chinese state circus.

I wouldn't be without it now and I get in other peoples cars who think they bought well and want to smash their heads into a wall to see if there is a brain in there!!!!..for performance and practicality per pound..THERE IS NO BETTER CAR...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:57 pm 

TIPEC membership: 2899
psi wrote:
I have recently bought a 944 as a daily driver and have to say it's one of the best things I've done. I was initially looking at SAAB's, FOCUS's and Fiesta ST's and then remembered that just before I bought my first elise I was thinking of a 944 (at the time they were 12-15K cars) but wanted the elise so went for it.

So I ended up looking at 17 944's and they ranged from piles of crap to really good ones but not quite right for me (so be prepared for it to take some time and don't rush). My thoughts are based on only 1 months ownership.

As for driving it every day, I probably only do 6K a year in it and about 6K per year in my elise (thus it would be a 12K a year car if it was my only one). I was finally happy that I'd found a good one. I paid 5K from a dealer which include cambelt change and full 12K mile service (plus the fixing of the odd thing here and there - washer jets replaced,etc) and have already blown another 1K having the cam chain/tensioner/waterpump/new brake pads done - probably didn't need it but wanted to know I had done everything required to run it as a daily driver with no fear, so in my opinion it was a good solution if nothing goes wrong (and then at least the missus can't moan that I bought an old car)

I LOVE MY 944 S2. It's fast, comfortable, the only thing I find ever so slightly frustrating is the boot space (it needs to be about another 1.5 inches deeper for normal 'stuff' - what ever that may be. You can't own this car and not keep it well looked after so treat it like your mistress and it will treat you well! I'm getting 25-28 mpg which hurts after 40mpg in my elise to be honest, but you soon start getting used to it and the experience is worth every additional penny spent over a mondeo or clio anyday.

The seats are comfy, every so often I find my back aches but it comes and goes and I blame 5 years of using the elise as the main reason my back hurts anyway! Steering is smooth and accurate, wipers are NOT good by modern standards in my opinion but the do their job ok during a rainfall, just a bit noisy. Rear seats are usable for small people but NOT a space for adults unless they work for the chinese state circus.

I wouldn't be without it now and I get in other peoples cars who think they bought well and want to smash their heads into a wall to see if there is a brain in there!!!!..for performance and practicality per pound..THERE IS NO BETTER CAR...

Well said

Mike

3.2 CARRERA SUPERSPORT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:04 pm 

Hi Andrew :hello2:

I grew up in Keswick myself so I know the particular scaelextric track in question pretty well ;) ;)

I've been running a fairly well cherished late 944 lux (2.7) for the last 12months without major issue. In fact it has been an absolute joy. They are fab cars that really beg to be driven and greatly benefit from regular use. They are also pretty bulletproof, but because of their age are bound to let you down occasionally. However, if you're handy with the spanners you've come to the right place for info. There is a lot of guys on here with good experience fettling these cars. And they are not that tricky to work on - hey if I can manage it?! ;)

Fuel economy is not that great on shorter journeys, but since you do plenty of miles you should be fine.

Cheers,
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
Had mine as a daily drive for 18mths now. Despite some serious hidden problems that cost too much to fix. The car has still cost no more than a modern car would have depreciated! Mine is only a Lux 2.5. First thing I did was to put it on the Dyno'. It wasn't quick. But with a new fuel system, & Ignition it now exceeds it's rated horsepower & it is! Don't under estimate the 2.5!
The 944 is the most under rated horse power bargain there is right now. At the price they are it's difficult to go wrong. I probably had more problems than anyone on this forum over the last year. But I would still recommend one. It's cost me 6K as of now. (Including the purchase cost.) This could go up to 7 if it needs a new clutch. But that's the worst case scenario. (Probably will cost little for a while now as everything has been fixed!) I wouldn't swap it. Put too much into sorting it out! :D If I went out to buy one now I would look for a car in regular use. Don't worry about mileage, No of owners, Just CONDITION. Join Tipec & go out in some of the different models so you know what a good one should be like!
Mine does 26mpg knocking about. 23 when caned. 30 at constant 70.
Number of total failures. One. Walking distance of home when the screw fell out of the rotor arm. Went back with a screw driver & rescued it! They don't often break without warning. 8) TVR owners read it & weap! :lol:

Last edited by J.J. on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:00 pm 

Purchased my S2 at the end of June 2007 so now just over seven months of ownership. In that time I have covered nearly 15,000 miles (Normally 100 miles per day).

Fuel 25/27 mpg

Oil - Minimal (excluding actual oil change)

Repair/maintenance costs:

Rear stop and tail bulb 88p
Primer,stonechip and paint for sill renovation £38
Spare DME relay for glovebox (just in case) £17
Coming due for belts etc but I'm not worried as I'm well within budget. :D

I agree with PSI's posting above with regard to the boot and wipers - both are a little deficient but overall its a lot of fun for your money.
The way I figured it was this - take your time and find a decent car that has been well maintained and buy at the right price.
Drive it for a few months and keep on top of any maintenance. If you don't like it after 6 months sell it with minimal loss. Its a no brainer.

I've now decided to keep mine and drive it till the wheels fall off 8)

Treasurer

Porsche 928 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 944 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 924s (Track Day toy)
Porsche 924 Martini (New project)
Porsche Cayenne S (Daily driver)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:21 pm 

Quote:
So I ended up looking at 17 944's and they ranged from piles of crap to really good ones but not quite right for me (so be prepared for it to take some time and don't rush).

Thank you for all your replies - there might be a bit of delay while I approach the Finance Committee and then scan AutoTrader for likely cars.

I'm grateful for your advice :D

1969 Land Rover Series 2a ex-RAF Ambulance
2002 Ford Mondeo (Zzzzzzzzzzz)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:46 am 

Andrew

If possible, take someone along who knows these cars when you go to view. It could save you real hassle and £ in the long term.

Regards,
Adam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:39 am 

TIPEC membership: 3275
:wink: 911 & Porscheworld's 944 buyer's guide is here... http://www.chpltd.com/911_porsche_world/features_944.html