Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: sunroof outer seal replacement
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:46 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
When I've had soaked cars in the past, I've either put a box of silica gel crystals in there & kept drying them out in a low oven when they saturate, or put the dehumidifier in there, they gets everything as dry as a bone in a shortish time.

Hi Jim & Adam,

Thanks for the tips, will try them out.

Is your drivers seat elec ? mine is missing a trim panel,(please see pic below).. there are two 3mm self-tapping screws holding it in ( all i know is that its plastic !! there was a washer size piece left under the head of one of the screws ). we've got a good fabrication shop at work i'm gonna try and make a template if i know the sahpe ,,can you help ?

Cheers

Derrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 4746
Hi Derrick,

zola1 wrote:
mine is missing a trim panel,(please see pic below)..

I've just bought a brand new one from my local Porsche Centre.

928 521 760 05 - engine cover for seat with elect. vertical adjustment, 01C satin black

£6.31 + VAT.

NB There are various versions of this part depending on seat type, so yours may be different. If there's one still on the other seat, take it off and read the part number off it.

HTH,

Jim.

ARO Southern
Website & Forum Admin
1991 944 S2 black/grey
1986 944 Lux red/black

JOIN THE CLUB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 pm 

hotblack944 wrote:
Hi Derrick,

zola1 wrote:

928 521 760 05 - engine cover for seat with elect. vertical adjustment, 01C satin black

£6.31 + VAT.

NB There are various versions of this part depending on seat type, so yours may be different. If there's one still on the other seat, take it off and read the part number off it.

HTH,

Jim.

Hi Jim,

Passenger seat i non elec so i can't get a pt no off there !...thanks for the pt no thou, i'll put into Pelican's pt search eng and see if it i can get a pic of it (my seat has elec vertical front and rear adjust ..manual fore & aft with manual recline non heated )

Cheers

Derrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:52 pm 

zola1 wrote:
hotblack944 wrote:
Hi Derrick,

zola1 wrote:

£6.31 + VAT.

HTH,

Jim.

Just found this,

Hi Jim,

Passenger seat i non elec so i can't get a pt no off there !...thanks for the pt no thou, i'll put into Pelican's pt search eng and see if it i can get a pic of it (my seat has elec vertical front and rear adjust ..manual fore & aft with manual recline non heated )

Cheers

Derrick
Attachment:
Resized 944 drivers front seat panel mtr cover.jpg

Looks like the part ? it appears to have quite a deep recess for each of the screws and a moulded shape to it (my local opc is towcester, i'll see if they can identify it0

Derrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
Are the parts handed or the same for both sides?
If they are both the same I may have just the part you require sitting on the shelf in my garage (brand new). My local OPC re-ordered the correct one for me and told me to just bin the wrong part which they had previously posted out to me. Of course being the horder that I am, I couldn't throw out a perfectly good part that might come in handy for someone, sometime!

My 968 only has electric height adjustment and the cover which I have in the garage is larger than the ones on the car, presumably to cover motors for fore and aft movement. I will see if I can find the part number tomorrow.

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 pm 

Doh!
Just re-read the post above and it looks as though you require the same part that I did so my spare one won't be any good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:22 pm 

ExAudiSi wrote:
Doh!
Just re-read the post above and it looks as though you require the same part that I did so my spare one won't be any good.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for looking into it no prob's, did the second one they sent you have this pt no :-

Cheers

Derrick

p.s bit of a long shot ..but i don't suppose you have a pic of either of them ??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 pm 

Hi Derrick,

Not sure as the second one is now on the car and they didn't send me an invoice for it as it was FOC. I can tell you that the part number on the larger version which they supplied me with first was 928 521 760 04 01C.

I haven't mastered posting photos on the forum yet, but if you want to send me your email address I'll take some photos of the larger part tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 am 

Li Moo Bai wrote:
Hi all

I got finally got 'round to replacing my outer roof seal today (also did the tailgate and hatch lock seals).

However, I have a teensy weensy little problem..

The roof won't sink into the recess now! :oops: :cry:

I have heard they can take an age to settle down so am going to leave it over night to let gravity work its magic (it always wins afterall ;))

Any bright ideas for the morning if it is still sat proud of the roof? I am loathe to use the motor/lifting arms to drag it down as the poxy mechanism is so fragile and I've recently gone through the pain of replacing stripped gears :roll:

Cheers,
Adam

Adam,

Rained thro the night here ..bad !!! still fe*kn leaks, arrghh...mind you not as bad as before.....but its on my spanking new drivers seat ahhhh so i'm not gonna let this beat me, there is a big write up on Pelican about the sunroof assy i.e adjustments the whole shehbang etc ...in short i need to get the outer panel at tighter fit on the new seal ,,lower in the recess is must...any thoughts ??

cheers

Derrick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 am 

zola1 wrote:
Li Moo Bai wrote:
Hi all

I got finally got 'round to replacing my outer roof seal today (also did the tailgate and hatch lock seals).

However, I have a teensy weensy little problem..

The roof won't sink into the recess now! :oops: :cry:

I have heard they can take an age to settle down so am going to leave it over night to let gravity work its magic (it always wins afterall ;))

Any bright ideas for the morning if it is still sat proud of the roof? I am loathe to use the motor/lifting arms to drag it down as the poxy mechanism is so fragile and I've recently gone through the pain of replacing stripped gears :roll:

Cheers,
Adam

Adam,

Rained thro the night here ..bad !!! still fe*kn leaks, arrghh...mind you not as bad as before.....but its on my spanking new drivers seat ahhhh so i'm not gonna let this beat me, there is a big write up on Pelican about the sunroof assy i.e adjustments the whole shehbang etc ...in short i need to get the outer panel at tighter fit on the new seal ,,lower in the recess is must...any thoughts ??

cheers

Derrick

Hi

The drain holes are definitely clear? All four of 'em?
With mine I ran a drain unblocker down 'em followed by some warm, slightly soapy water.

The outer seal is only the first line of defence. You might also be getting water in under the inner seal. Is yours a plastic collar type i.e. original like mine?

As you say need to get the roof flush asap. In the meantime you could use some waterproof gaffer tape to keep the rain out?
I would get a mate to help you apply pressure to it from above (stand on something??). Also liberally apply some more vaseline to the roof recess to aid it in.
As I mentioned before what seemed to work for me was to apply gently upward pressure from underneath at the front whilst simultaneously pressing down at back from above.

Good luck!
Adam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:08 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Firstly don't use gaffer tape on paint work, when you pull the tape off the paint will come with it :x

Also the seals aren't there to totally keep the water out only some of it, the drains are the primary method, the idea of the seals is to stop the real deluge getting in. 9 times out of ten the issue is that the drains are blocked. All 4 need to be completely clear otherwise it will leak. Multicore cable or an old speedo are good, don't use compressed air, yu'll blow the pipes off the spigots, AMHIK!
Then check the inner seal, the one on the roof panel, mine was quite badly worn, with the result that it only leaked when it absolutely pissistantly rained.
As Adam said vaseline around the seal & making sure the roof is right the way down.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:05 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
Firstly don't use gaffer tape on paint work, when you pull the tape off the paint will come with it :x

Also the seals aren't there to totally keep the water out only some of it, the drains are the primary method, the idea of the seals is to stop the real deluge getting in. 9 times out of ten the issue is that the drains are blocked. All 4 need to be completely clear otherwise it will leak. Multicore cable or an old speedo are good, don't use compressed air, yu'll blow the pipes off the spigots, AMHIK!
Then check the inner seal, the one on the roof panel, mine was quite badly worn, with the result that it only leaked when it absolutely pissistantly rained.
As Adam said vaseline around the seal & making sure the roof is right the way down.

Erm, I was only suggesting the tape as a very temporary measure :) :boxing: you can't catch the deluge in a paper cup!

I should've mentioned the risk to the paint sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:

Hi Jim/Adam,

Gonna go right thro all the suggestions at weekend and will let you know how i get on,,,yes the inner seal is the inverted U-shaped hard plastic original one,,,wondered of they do one with a soft rubber top section that might help seal against the panel when its closed ??

Cheers

Derrick

No prob's Adam..just got in from work so just picked up your reply....

derrick