Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: sunroof outer seal replacement
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:42 pm 

Hi all

I got finally got 'round to replacing my outer roof seal today (also did the tailgate and hatch lock seals).

However, I have a teensy weensy little problem..

The roof won't sink into the recess now! :oops: :cry:

I have heard they can take an age to settle down so am going to leave it over night to let gravity work its magic (it always wins afterall ;))

Any bright ideas for the morning if it is still sat proud of the roof? I am loathe to use the motor/lifting arms to drag it down as the poxy mechanism is so fragile and I've recently gone through the pain of replacing stripped gears :roll:

Cheers,
Adam

Post subject: Re: sunroof outer seal replacement
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:01 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Adam,

mine was done over a year ago & is still reluctant to seat completely. Silicone spray helps but it'll take time.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:12 am 

tr7v8 wrote:
Adam,

mine was done over a year ago & is still reluctant to seat completely. Silicone spray helps but it'll take time.

Hi

I don't 'ave any of that but was going to try vaseline??

Did yours sit proud of the roof like this?

Ta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:42 pm 

Well after two days under gravity and an extra pair of hands in the bodyshop where my goodly neighbour works down the road the roof is still refusing to bed down so I went to see the OPC today.
Anyway the OPC tech and I are both in agreement that the seal I got from PorscheShop is not correct. Worse still, it won't even stay on the roof edge! I think it looks like a generic one, so will be demanding some money back. The new one from OPC will now take another couple of days to get here from Reading, by which time weather will no doubt have turned :angryfire:

Oh yes did I mention that I had to jump start the bloody thing this morning too? :angryfire:

Grr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 am 

Jump start? Couldnt you get the wife to give you a push?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 am 

944BLOKE wrote:

unfortunately not. i live at the bottom of a hill :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:51 am 

944BLOKE wrote:

Push!!!! after the comment he made yesterday about Jenny I'm surprised he's A. Still alive & B. she hasn't set fire to the Porsche!

1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:03 pm 

Just got off the 'phone from PorscheShop. They won't take their seal back because in their own words they won't be able to re-sell it as it is in 'used' condition (not true, it just won't fit the bloody roof!!!)

I'm annoyed to say the least. I have sent quite a bit of business their way in the last 12 months and all I can say is i won't be going back!

Oh yes the porsche item: whilst being similar, in and also a very tight fit but it IS responding to gentle pressure and vaseline, unlike the porscheshop one..

Good job we have been spared the rain lately otherwise those bunch of robbing gets would have been responsible for a flooded 944!

:angryfire:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:11 pm 

Li Moo Bai wrote:
Just got off the 'phone from PorscheShop. They won't take their seal back because in their own words they won't be able to re-sell it as it is in 'used' condition (not true, it just won't fit the bloody roof!!!)

I'm annoyed to say the least. I have sent quite a bit of business their way in the last 12 months and all I can say is i won't be going back!

Oh yes the porsche item: whilst being similar, in and also a very tight fit but it IS responding to gentle pressure and vaseline, unlike the porscheshop one..

Good job we have been spared the rain lately otherwise those bunch of robbing gets would have been responsible for a flooded 944!

Hi,

Sunroof leaks argh !!!lucky its been dry eh, mine leaks and i'm looking for a replacement seal

Have you got any pic's of the differences in the seals...profile and size ?

I did see another non OEM one on ebay, that replaces the inner body seal with one that has the soft rubber section..(as opposed to the U-Shaped ORIGINAL).

Thanks

Derrick

Thanks

Derrick

Thanks

Derrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:33 pm 

zola1 wrote:
Li Moo Bai wrote:

Hi,

Sunroof leaks argh !!!lucky its been dry eh, mine leaks and i'm looking for a replacement seal

Have you got any pic's of the differences in the seals...profile and size ?

I did see another non OEM one on ebay, that replaces the inner body seal with one that has the soft rubber section..(as opposed to the U-Shaped ORIGINAL).

Thanks

Derrick

Thanks

Derrick

Thanks

Derrick

Derrick

The two seals look very similar but the rubber outer/upper tubing is noticably thinner on the OPC one which has allowed it to squeeze in a lot easier. Neither looks quite like the original that came off (which yours looks like iirc). Does that make sense? I may try and get some pics up at the weekend.

You're welcome to the porscheshop supplied one if you want it. If you can get it to work for you just send me a few bob. I don't want the full amount if it's going to another club member. I also won't be sending it back to them as they "could not guarantee a refund", so no rush there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:25 am 

Hi,
Just finished fitting the seal..(cheers adam 8) ..my old one was completely shot !!

Cleaned up the aperture with the roof out ..did the usual check on the drainage ok.

here's an after pic,
Attachment:
Resizes front sunroof _new seal 24_2_08.jpg
Attachment:
Resizes rear sunrrof _new seal 24_2_08.jpg

It does sit a little high in the aperture at the rear...but sits down at the front so.. at least it hopefully won't howl with windnoise, i applied some vaseline to the new one and persuaded it down as much as possible.
Gave it a spray water test and no leaks :D ....i'll let you know how it is when we get our next downpour ..probably today eh :lol:

Cheers

Derrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm 

zola1 wrote:
Hi,
Just finished fitting the seal..(cheers adam 8) ..my old one was completely shot !!

Cleaned up the aperture with the roof out ..did the usual check on the drainage ok.

here's an after pic,
Attachment:
Resizes front sunroof _new seal 24_2_08.jpg
Attachment:
Resizes rear sunrrof _new seal 24_2_08.jpg

It does sit a little high in the aperture at the rear...but sits down at the front so.. at least it hopefully won't howl with windnoise, i applied some vaseline to the new one and persuaded it down as much as possible.
Gave it a spray water test and no leaks :D ....i'll let you know how it is when we get our next downpour ..probably today eh :lol:

Cheers

Derrick

Glad you got it sorted. I'll PM you my address if you like?

Mine looks similar to yours if a bit more even. What I found fitting mine was that you could ease the rear down with the other hand pushing from underneath at front. It's to do with the fact that the front goes in first I guess, and the wind deflector complicates things.

Regards,
Adam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:06 pm 

On a mission now... stripped out the rear carpet section (cabin) & the pass/side front...removed the old soundproofing sections (sodden and tired, bit like the owner :lol: )...dried out and degreased all the area's.

Got loads of pic's..stopped for a brew so will post ltr, gonna put the retrimmed drvrs seat in, but will fit the "928 armchair" in the pass side until i'm happy that the leaks are fixed and i've got the original pass seat trim sorted.

Cheers

Derrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 pm 

When I've had soaked cars in the past, I've either put a box of silica gel crystals in there & kept drying them out in a low oven when they saturate, or put the dehumidifier in there, they gets everything as dry as a bone in a shortish time.

1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:09 pm 

A good long blat around your favourite A/B roads should help too :sign7: ;)