Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:55 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EBC red or green anyone tried them?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:47 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4288
As the title says anyone got any opinions on these for a 944 turbo?

Reds seem to get bad reviews on PCGB but everywhere else I have looked the reviews are good.

No need to tell me about genuine pads I know all about them - thanks.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:57 pm 

TIPEC membership: 3275
Don't the red ones need to be warmed up before they work properbly? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:33 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
i think the reds squeal until fully warmed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:14 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Never used Reds but heard that they A. need warming & B. are noisy.
However I use EBC greens in the Lux (and virtually every other car I've owned) & they are fantastic. Quiet & the main reason I use them is that they produce softer, & less brake dust. This is much easier to clean off.
For the S2 brakes on the Lux they were about £55 per axle set & front & back are identical

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 am 

Hey Rich, as you know, following a partial caliper rebuild and new discs etc, I changed the 6 month old Pagids to EBC Greens on mine at the front as they were noisy, dirty and generally crap. The only reason they're still on the back is that I'm not made of money! The greens have been great. Never tried reds, have heard they contain more sintered metal, whereas the greens are organic type stuff, hence much kinder to the discs and less noisy... does the EBC website offer up any guidance? I think the reds are for medium trackday use but ok for road use, whereas the yellows are track only.

As for up-speccing the compound because you have a Turbo, I'd suggest the big M030 calipers, with larger dia discs and bigger pistons can take care of the extra effort required. The car doesn't weigh significantly more or less than an S2, so we're not talking mega differences, plus how often are you going to be repeatedly braking from 160+mph instead of 150?!! A call to EBC would be a good idea - they're potentially small enough to care - and let us know what they say... could be really interesting to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Cheers,
George

Feb 1989 944 S2 LM5P Dove Blue

17" Cup 1s, Eagle F1s, 968 M030 roll-bars, bridge spoiler, ProMax chip, ESS stainless exhaust, EBC Greens, clear lenses, Momo Corse wheel...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:43 pm 

TIPEC membership: 666
I used Greens on our S2 and they were fine on both road and track and had the added benefot of marginally less dust. I tried the Greens in my Turbo and again they were fine on the road and produced less dust than normal. On track the Turbo just destroyed them in a few days so not very hard wearing

I think the PCGB guys who use the EBC Reds are hard trackers and they are not really up to that sort of heat yet they are also pretty poor when stone cold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:46 pm 
The 968 lads say the same Paul. Reds are hard to heat for road use but greens are quickly destroyed at the track, hard one :(

Post subject: pads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:02 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
A friend of mine put yellow in his Subaru and found they didn’t stop him at the end of his street it was then I showed him the not for high way use sticker on them. Reds are for the track/fast road, they need a lot of heat. I have green in my 944s and I like them but I did bed them in lightly for 200m before giving them some stick. It has been said that I am the last of the late grate breakers by more than one or two nervous passengers. One of which owns a Lotus Esprit turbo SE and Esprit sport 350 V8 he had green stuff in the turbo and he glazed then after 50 miles and went back to Ferodo. So in conclusion my 44s brakes are not the biggest and before I put new discs and green stuff in I was going to up grade to S2 set up but with the green there ok, would green stuff work in a large S2 calliper like the large callipers on my mates Lotus, may be if you bed them in well. I worked for a rally team in the 90s and the pads that were bedded in before the event seem to last longer than the sets bedded in between stages.