Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:34 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: S2 front disc change - what have I done?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:34 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4952
Skype ID: JW590
The car is on axle stands on the driveway, at least the sun's shining.

Nearside - The caliper came off easy, the disc took forever. One screw came out, one had to be drilled out. The disc would not come off. Using a range of hammers I eventually got it off by turning the disc and hitting it where the caliper normally sits. Put the new one on, put the caliper on (without pads), spun it - and it scored the new disc. Took the caliper off and the new disc is spinning as if it's warped, exactly the same on each rotation.

Thought I'd leave it as it's clearly a problem, so have started to do the off-side one. Caliper's off, but the disc screws won't budge. At the moment I've walked away and left everything soaked in WD40. I'm beginning to regret having started the job - the grief I'm causing myself is not worth the saving in labour costs, and my swearing is only just covered up by the volume of the 1970's Glam Mania tape that's playing in the garage - even then a neighbour has complained that I shouldn't be playing a Gary Glitter tune!

On both calipers the inside brake pads have hardly been moving at all, but the outside ones are well worn, and two of the dust covers are damaged. I'm quite disappointed because I paid a trusted mechanic to change the brakes (not discs) last time and therefore wouldn't have expected this type of wear.

Anyway, before I start drilling and hammering the off-side disc, what have I done to the near-side one and how do I avoid doing it to the off-side one?

Any ideas anybody?

Thank you.

1991 944S2, 222000 miles.
2007 Audi A4 Avant Tdi 140 S-Line
2014 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG
1995 Triumph TR6

Post subject: Re: S2 front disc change - what have I done?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 666
are the hats the same heights?

ie do the discs look the same, old vs new.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:09 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
John... re-read my instructions DON'T HAMMER the disc off you'll brinnel the bearings! Cut down the disc with a grinder or hacksaw & split it with a chisel.
OK the hub obviously has some crap on it, strip the disc off & clean the hub thoroughly, I suspect you have some grit there. This will be wire brush & solvent. Then use some spacers & pop 3 wheel nuts on so they pull the disc down hard onto the hub. Then see if you have any run out. You have to be quite accurate with this. You may need to move the disc off a few times & move it around studs. An old trick is when you get close hold a nail or spike against the calliper & see if it rubs at any high point.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4952
Skype ID: JW590
Thank you Jim, I'll go and do that now.

1991 944S2, 222000 miles.
2007 Audi A4 Avant Tdi 140 S-Line
2014 Mercedes SLK 250 AMG
1995 Triumph TR6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
If the inner pads have not been moving, you may also want to check your callipers for plate lift (separate issue to the disc run out).
Make sure that the stainless steel plates which the pads sit on are flush against the calliper and don't jam the pads in position.

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:12 pm 

I did the disks and pads on the front of my S2 about 8 months ago, and had a real game getting it right.

They came off OK (sorry to hear of your problems John) but I had lots of symptoms of disk warp when the new ones were attached.

I concluded that the retainer screws (two, CSK head) that hold the disk to the hub can cause a LOT of problems jacking the disk up out of alignment if they are done up too tight. This then meant that the disk gave all the symptoms of being warped.

I also found that unless the wheel nuts were done up in sequence (1-3-5-2-4 or similar), with a torque wrench, you risked the same problems. Everything in there is aluminium and it's easy to get things out of straight if you aren't very careful.

(I should add that for some reason I am very fussy about wheel balancing and disk warp. Not sure why, but I can't tolerate it at all. I am probably more of a perfectionist than most in this area!)

Oli.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
Did the 968 ones about a month ago and had none of the above problems. You must make sure that the hub is free of any corrosion or debris before fitting the new disc though.

Pretty sure that bolts were used in the threaded holes in the discs to push them off too (thanks to David from Car-Tech and Care, I didn't need to do that bit!).

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue

Last edited by ExAudiSi on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:40 pm 

I did seem to have more problems than most (perhaps because I am more picky than most), although there are a few other people who seem to have struggled with similar things.

If you did it with problems on a 968 then that's good (and probably more likely to be the usual experience.)

Oli.