Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:13 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944 S2 barn find non-starter - help!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:50 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello friends, please find attached a picture of my 944 S2 project. Very different from my old square dash - much to learn!

I feel like I'm pretty close to firing it up but am being thwarted by a lack of fuel. Chucked in 25 litres of finest super unleaded and the gauge is showing 1/4 of a tank so no issues there.

First of all, does anyone know how the Hamilton & Palmer immobiliser fitted to UK cars works, i.e. what does it actually disable? I have a confirmed spark and have her spinning over like a champion but don't seem to be getting any fuel.

I have two immobiliser fobs but the socket by the ignition switch is looser than a loose thing and I don't actually know what the signal is for successful de-immobilisation (mobilisation?).

Info gleaned from forums speaks of a flashing red LED in the centre console - however there is no sign of this on my car. What I do have is a hole in the correct vicinity with a plastic bung inserted - which might mean the system has been removed?

Also could the alarm system be a possible factor? Car is fitted with option "533 - alarm system" according to build sheet in boot.

According to the fuse box diagram there should be a relay in position G19 (circled) called "bridge adapter, alarm system". My car features an empty socket - but sculling around inside the fusebox was a couple of wired links - would someone have used these to bypass the alarm system relay, and if so would someone kindly tell me which pins to hotwire!

I also have a list of other possible culprits including dead fuel pump, blocked fuel filter etc.

The possibility of a dead DME relay has crossed my mind but the one fitted to the car has a 993 part number and I found a spare in the glovebox with the same 993 part number, dated 2004 on the box. Have tried both with no success. What are the odds of these both being bad? Is age a factor?

Post subject: Re: 944 S2 barn find non-starter - help!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:25 am 

I've got an alarm/immobiliser on my car, not the slot in thing, rather a key fob, the brand is Serpi Star. I'm not sure if it is OEM or was dealer fit. I do have the flashing red LED on my centre console.

Anyway, when the alarm is active, the car still spins up, but doesn't catch. So it's likely cutting off fuel, or power to the DME. Could you have something similar?

Don't think the DEM relay is your issue.

In all likelihood your going to have to trace all the wires and work out what's going on.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
H & P was UK fit as it was demanded by insurers in the UK, as at the time the 944 was a high value car.
Personally once they get to 10 years old they become cranky & unreliable (bit like me!) and I'd be getting an alarm fitter in to remove it & fit a new current model model alarm, like a Cobra or similar.
Not sure on the S2 but I know the later early 944s (87 on) had an immobiliser model part number 928-xxx behind the passengers kick board which can cause grief.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:28 pm 

That's pretty rubbish to only get 10 years out of a H & P system. Touch wood, my Serpi Star is 34 years old, car done 168k miles and never missed a beat. Still got 2 working key fobs and it does the central locking too.

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:17 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
scam75 wrote:
That's pretty rubbish to only get 10 years out of a H & P system. Touch wood, my Serpi Star is 34 years old, car done 168k miles and never missed a beat. Still got 2 working key fobs and it does the central locking too.

You may very well get more than 10 years especially out of a quality end of the market as H & P but the relays etc will be on borrowed time. Our MX5 had a aftermarket system on it & I had the lot ripped out & a Cobra Cat 1 installed. My fitter was less than impressed on the install standard of the previous one,
Result no more false alarms & alarms in the early hours of the morning! Result in my book.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:29 am 

Used to get the very odd false alarm, when car was hot, good laugh at the golf course car park on a Saturday morning. I turned the sensitivity down a bit and its never happened again.

I think I must have a very good, very well fitted, 34 year old alarm!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:30 am 

a Serpistar alarm was fitted on my old 87 Sierra Cosworth, I sold that 20 years ago though. Re the H&P immobiliser, mine is 32 years old and still working, the socket is a bit loose but I think that part is still available.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:48 am 

Best £60 I spent on the car was with an auto electrician removing the ailing alarm and two previous non working modules spliced into loom poorly.
Did leave a hole in centre dash fixed with a grommet. Matches the 3 screw holes the other side where the 80’s car phone must have been fixed .