It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Abs anti lock sensor check
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6177
Hi all

Trying to diagnose the following problem on my 944s2 :

Anti lock warning and the red warning (!) light come on when ignition turned on and remain on whilst the car is driven

My gut feeling is that this will be a fouled up sensor with lots of rust dust. The car has stood for quite a while. Pulling the sensors is proving to be a right pain so hoping to narrow it all down by an ohms resistance check to find out which one is playing up. Can anyone remind me of the ohms reading I should be getting across the two wires from each sensor please.

Cheers

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

Post subject: Re: Abs anti lock sensor check
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:35 pm 

Aye further to the above, readings as follows

FOS 9.84
FNS 9.84
ROS 9.71
RNS 9.9

Am I right in thinking that these are all within spec or is the variance in the back readings a cause for concern?

Cheers all

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:12 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Rob

In my experience a faulty sensor brings the light on when you start moving off, not on start up. The system self tests about 5 mph, you hear the pump whirring and the sensor readings are validated at the same time.

Light on at start up would have me looking at the ABS control unit or the relays on the pump.

And yes, they are a nightmare to remove!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:35 pm 

Thanks for that, yes was just getting to that point in my understanding! So as my warning lights have been coming on straight away then the sensors aren't likely to be the cause - confirmed really by the ohms readings too.

Well I might have got away with things quite lightly... Pulling and reseating all connections, fuse and relay (in the main fuse box) seems to changed something. The warning lights no longer come on with the ignition. A road test later today may confirm my luck.

Cheers

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:18 pm 

Good, you are likely on to something. These cars do not like being laid up. I had all manner of silly electrical issues after a year off the road for my engine rebuild.

One fog light inop, indicators not working, a door speaker wasn't working and a few other things I think. All started to work again with a relay wiggle or two and using the car daily.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:43 pm 

Aye
A road test has confirmed that the anti lock gremlins have been sent packing. You are right about things going down hill with a car being laid up. The sunroof needs looking at, likely to be grumbling relays, and a new headlamp rotating switch was required. Apart from that, fingers crossed, all good. MOT time very soon!

Cheers

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:02 pm 

Good news then and good luck with with the MOT!

Mine passed at the start of the month, advisory on a misty front shock which was rebuilt by GAZ about 4 years ago, so a bit annoying. Anyway it returned back to GAZ for an inspection and it needed a new rod and obviously a service at the same time, back on the car now and all good!

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:04 pm 

Thanks! We shall see, but quietly hopeful!

I went the B6 bilstein route about ten years back and have never felt the need for anything else.

All the best

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:17 am 

Yeah that seems a good way to go. When I done mine, with the car lowered a fair bit, about 60mm, GAZ was my only real option without massive upheaval. And at the time the Gold kit, 4 dampers and springs, was only £550. Same kit is £1k now. The rears are untouched in that time and still good, and due to aforementioned leak 4 years ago, i sent both front units back down for a service. Possibly the rod was slightly bent at that point and had caused the leak, maybe it was subsequently bent, who knows! Hopefully be good for a while now!

Good luck.

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
robmal wrote:
Aye
A road test has confirmed that the anti lock gremlins have been sent packing. You are right about things going down hill with a car being laid up. The sunroof needs looking at, likely to be grumbling relays, and a new headlamp rotating switch was required. Apart from that, fingers crossed, all good. MOT time very soon!

Cheers

When I first got mine it was my daily driver & pretty much didn't miss a beat. It did 38K as my car allowance car in 18 month. There after it did around 2-3K a year and every spring when I started to use in anger the sunroof didn't work, the windows were slow etc. After a couple of weeks everything woke up & started to work properly.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5