Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Delaying rust?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:14 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Had my first proper 'getting to know you' session with the car yesterday; A run up to Aberfoyle then a thorough wash. The drive was excellent, despite some roads being eaten by the scottish winter the suspension coped admirably though I did grimace at the sound of seemingly tons of gravel being thrown into the arches at times.

I washed it thoroughly immediately after, finding a little discoloration and very minor bubbling around the rear numberplate lamps and the left boot catch. Something to be further investigated.

Then I lookend in the sills and found damp and more surface rust. OH JOY I thought. Arent these cars galvanized? Why are my sills wet, why are they rusting?

After an evening watching the Sopranos took my mind off it I woke this morning to confirm the horrors. It had been raining overnight. I look in the sills, and thank the lord they're dry. But still rusting , its surface flake but its there, and thats only where I can see.

I think washing the arches must have allowed a bit of water to enter the sills through the sill drains just forward of the rear arch. I had a good look this morning and took some photos;

View inside sill from vent looking down (sill drain is the elongated D shape depression center of photo);

Sill drain (OS rear arch looking forward);

I'd like to delay this process ASAP, Feeling around in the cavity i can tell its been thinly waxed at some point (factory?) but coverage is inconsistent and obviously not working.

I'm thinking of using this stuff;

http://www.rejel.com/product/8546.aspx

Supposed to penetrate and arrest existing rust, and protect against further corrosion. Theres a 600mm extension for the aerosol available too.

My problem is getting to the rest of the sill I cant see. I can dangle in a webcam for a 360 look but my worry is coverage when i treat it, and as I cant get accces I cant think of any way to shift existing surface rust.

Has anyone here tried to treat this kind of thing?
Anyone used Dinitrol?
Are there other access points to the sills?

I'd appreciate any advice, and I'll document proceedings when I do the job.

Post subject: Re: Delaying rust?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:01 pm 

Well I think looking at your sills from inside they are about the same condition of mine. :wink: I sprayed mine last year using a rust arester spray and followed on with a wax coat afterwards(volvo own product).I sprayed from the door air vent hole and from the drain holes along the sill(make sure these arent blocked when the wax dries)and finally from the front wheel arch behind the splash sheild.
I felt much happier knowing that I had retreated the sills although you cant always stop what rust may already be there. :(
I retreated my outer sills with stone guard finish to tidy up(very slight bubble)after rust killing and the final finish looks good. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:04 pm 

Another thing to help would be to invest in the rear quarter panel clear stone guard kit for protection.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
The wax that seems to win the awards is the Bilt Hamber product. http://www.bilthamber.com/
I've 5 litres at home awaiting better weather to treat mine & Paul's car.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Invested in the bilt-hamber stuff (bet its chemically identical to Dinitrol but BH seem to get good writeups everywhere);

https://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html

bought the aerosol version

also got their detailing kit, the whole lot for the same price as a tub of zymol; trying to get the definitive answer on carnuba (warmer?, expensive) vs synthetics (longer or shorter lasting) is impossible as its about 50/50 opinion wise, with plenty swearing by one camp and dissing the other. Im going with the assumption that anything is better than nothing ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Pastry wrote:
Invested in the bilt-hamber stuff (bet its chemically identical to Dinitrol but BH seem to get good writeups everywhere);

https://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html

bought the aerosol version

also got their detailing kit, the whole lot for the same price as a tub of zymol; trying to get the definitive answer on carnuba (warmer?, expensive) vs synthetics (longer or shorter lasting) is impossible as its about 50/50 opinion wise, with plenty swearing by one camp and dissing the other. Im going with the assumption that anything is better than nothing ;)

Bet you it ain't :mrgreen:

I got their detailing kit as well, the car wash, Auto Bathe is great & their wax seems to be very good & long lasting. I've actually asked them to come & present to SELNK later in 09

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5