Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:07 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Block
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Just seen at “944online” they are showing a new turbo block for just over £2500 at todays exchange rate . I had not realised these were available but that does not seem a daft price compared to the other options and if I wanted to keep a car original but had a scored block .

Post subject: Re: New Block
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:48 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
Just seen at “944online” they are showing a new turbo block for just over £2500 at todays exchange rate . I had not realised these were available but that does not seem a daft price compared to the other options and if I wanted to keep a car original but had a scored block .

That's a great price, I saw nothing like that when I started my engine rebuild process. I suppose you lose your engine number though and the costs would fair mount up in the process of stripping down the damaged block and decanting what you can and replacing what you can't. For example, are balance shafts not block specific?

I still think the road I've went down, liners costing £220, new forged pistons costing about £800 then all associated work, and keeping matching numbers, for around £5k, for essentially a fully rebuilt engine, was the best way for me. But interesting to know all the same!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:14 pm 

I agree with you stuart , for most (and I include myself) liners are good enough . There is the cost of fitting the liners £600-800 to include .
But if you want the tighter tolerances for alusil and if I had an immaculate original turbo , I think I lean towards a new block and pay the £1100 for a set of oe turbo pistons to match the block being quoted .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:16 pm 

Balance shafts not specific to block , only the housing .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:04 am 

I think the balance shaft covers are line machined on the block, hence matched to it. A few years back there were some new 968 blocks available, but apparently the new blocks were all sold in Germany. As for this new 2.5 block, I thought I read a while back that new original Porsche 2.5 turbo pistons were NLA.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:35 pm 

He's also offering genuine oe pistons to match block . I take it that means the piston group range fits the block .
Don't know why I keep posting about it , it's not for me but might be of use to someone else .

As an aside , is Turbo mentioned on the V5 logbook anywhere ? Mine doesn't .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:54 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
He's also offering genuine oe pistons to match block . I take it that means the piston group range fits the block .
Don't know why I keep posting about it , it's not for me but might be of use to someone else .

Think how satisfying it would be, if that block and pistons were stored in a cupboard in the garage though. I still have pangs for those new oe turbo valves that someone nicked on ebay. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:24 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:

As an aside , is Turbo mentioned on the V5 logbook anywhere ? Mine doesn't .

Yes. Mine says "944 turbo"

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 pm 

I wouldn't take as gospel, what's printed on a V5....