Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:30 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GAZ shocks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Soon after I got the car I fitted Koni sports shocks all round. The car handled great on track but the rears were a bind to adjust for road use and I found them just a bit stiff even on softest setting.
So I swapped them after abut 3 yrs for GAZ Gold which are much easier to adjust the rears. Problems arose soon after fitting with a persitant knock from the n/s rear. I pulled them and sent the knocking shock back for testing and ordered some new top hat bushes which were a sloppy fit. Shock tested fine but new bushes still sloppy and knock returned. Put the Koni rears back on and all is fine, the car handles better and the pitching and wallowing under braking has gone. Pretty dissapointed in all, the Konis were cheaper fitted better as the fronts use original shock casing and imho the car was much better on Konis.
The front springs supplied with the GAZ shocks were useless (too short) as were the camber adjustment bolts. I replaced the springs with Eibach ones which gave correct height adjustment and use proper Porsche bolts.
It's not the shocks that are the problem but how they fit or don't.

Post subject: Re: GAZ shocks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:09 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
The only problem I've had with my Gaz Gold was the bodies rusting, worse at front. They replaced them under warranty. Admittedly my car is re-indexed at the back however all fitted great about 11 years ago. Rears still original and good, fronts sent for rebuild a couple of years ago due to one leaking. £50 a corner to rebuild and all good again.

As you say masses of adjustment front and rear from super soft to super hard.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.