Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:12 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: lux engine specs/differences
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:56 pm 

944 wrote:
700 for the controller? or gas set up aswell?
its a while since i looked into it but i think i found a basic controller for 200 and one with alot more functions etc for 350 . i would be happy with the basic one as im not racing the car and if i did a few 1/4's it would just be for a laugh. something where the gas increases the more the throttle is pressed would be nice :) as progressive as the engine itself , wouldnt even know it was there other than the car was actually quick lol

Hi :)

No it was £700 for my controller alone, although they are around £500 now but you can get cheaper, see here >>>> http://www.noswizard.com/product_list.php?id=3

They will also do a deal on a reconditioned unit for even less...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:47 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
944 wrote:
cat, cheers :)

j.j , ive never took anything american tuners say as the end of the line , i just dont think they can be as good with european/jap cars as the people that know them best ... europeans and japs :)

i havent even thought about the exhaust manifold yet , want it running first then i can see how it drives and get a power graph. i'll have a read and freshen up on exhaust design nonsense and sort something to get what i feel the car needs. ive got the knowledge and experience to make the inlet etc up but not got a tig :( so i'll have to get the welding done or borrow a machine. with new fuelling / headwork / cam / 3d coilpack ignition and full exhaust id like 195-200 bhp then 50 or 75 nitrous.

im going to get it rollered with just the bodies , exhaust and ignition to see how much power 300 quid gets me first :D

American tuners have more gear for '44s as thats were most of the cars were sold. If your going to go for it get it rollered first! or you won't know what improvement your mod's have made. My car has a German tuned exhaust & unrated fuel system & gained 28HP at the wheels with it on a rebuilt engine. But is now only little more than Porsche said the car had when new. OK the Torque is better. But .......
Flow figures are for the standard cam. But a new cam is £300 & will only give you 7 to 15HP! Without solid lifters it's a waste of time as the hydraulic ones aren't up to the job. Nitrous makes a lot of sense on these cars. It's always been said that the lux can't be tuned. It can but it's just not economic. £300 would buy the 16v set up from the twin cam S. That would be easier to get to 200hp. Have fun what ever you do :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:19 pm 

is that 15bhp on a standard engine? thats quite good :)

anything can be tuned :D from what ive read the bottom end (apart from bores) is ready for big things ! and im sure the head can be sorted :) im not after big power , just 200 will be nice and out of a 2.5 with good breathing it should be simple enough .
i can build a 200+ car for less than a grand but i want the 44 for sentimental reasons and everyday use (also keeping a baby seat and not being embarassed by new family trucks)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:52 pm 

No it's 7hp on a standard engine! Not much for £300 invested. For a camshaft that will make more you will need solid lifters which means modifying the cam box & then you will end up with a gas guzzler that isn't very nice to drive on the road! Don't think it's worth it! Put it on the dyno. If your have more than 115 at the wheels I will be surpriced! Mine is a more than a match for most of the bmw turbo deasels. Thanks to sweet handling theres not much you can't keep up with on a B road. But thats the real joy of the lux. Not all out power. But enough to keep up with cars costing many times more. I had the same plan when I got mine. But soon blew the budget just getting it right :| Still spending. Ripped the drop links off my roll bar just after christmas playing with a 4 litre XKR :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm 

its perfect on corners :D just needs a bit more out of them .

need to change droplink on mine , is it a common problem ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
944 wrote:
its perfect on corners :D just needs a bit more out of them .

need to change droplink on mine , is it a common problem ?

Do you mean Anti roll bar drop link? Yup it's a common problem, they crack & I suspect things like sleeping policeman don't help them live long either. The good point is they are cheapish, around £20 +VAT from memory, Oh & cheapest from OPC believe it or not!

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:57 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hey J.J.,

What exactly do you have on your car?What kind of exhaust and fuel mods?Was it worth the money?
You made me curious....
Did you also change the headers or it's just a "cat back".It's kinda hard to find a good exhaust for the n/a and also too expensive.
I have a supersprint muffler on mine but apart from an amazing sound i don't think it does anything.I got to get it over to a dyno one day,i'm so curious how many horses it has left. :bounce:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 pm 

Best exhaust that works for little money is the Dansk. Full system worth a whole 5hp :lol: at the wheels on mine! (Needed a new exhaust anyway.) It's Stainless & I got it from Bert Gear. Not expensive. Still have the stock manifolds. If the car will hold together long enough I want to get the Map sorted out for it over at Milnrow (Chip wizards) Then when I know the real story I'le tell you what I've done.
My drop links arn't cracked. They've completly straightend out! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm 

mine have started straightening out , might do drawings for some machined out of ally bar at some point. no point till it runs lol