Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bailey Diverter Valve DV30
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:33 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Folks,

Been troubleshooting my strange boost issue, so far I've found a loose inlet manifold banjo bolt so tightened that up and then I turned my attention to the diverter valve that I got from Promax a few years ago.

I pushed the piston up with my finger to test the vacuum (by placing another finger over the vacuum port to seal it) and then letting go to to check the operation. It worked the first time but didn't seem to open very far so I pushed it again and then it jammed and wouldn't release.

I've opened it up via the 6 small allen head bolts and removed the piston and spring, there appears to be some moly grease inside the valve to lubricate the piston but it is very sticky so I'm checking if anyone knows what it should be lubricated with? The o-ring on the piston appears to be OK if a little large for the intended application. I may have a look in amongst my assorted o-rings to see if there is anything more suitable.

Otherwise I may just go and get an OEM replacement, can't seem to see Bosch ones listed anymore only Febi-Bilstein with the 993 part number...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Bailey Diverter Valve DV30
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
OK so I dismantled the Bailey DV30 and also did a bit of research this evening.

Looks like the o-ring / seal they use on the piston reacts with the lubricant that was put in at the factory and swells causing the piston to seize. Quite how long this has been going on I don't know but I'm pretty sure this is what has been causing my weird issues, hopefully it hasn't damaged anything.

Looks like Bosch have stopped making replacement diverter valves now and the original replacement from Porsche is a whopping £150!!!

I've spotted a Febi-Bilstein valve on ebay which is sold as being compatible with the Audi 1.8T engine but doesn't say anything about Porsche... and is much cheaper at between £40-50 new.

From what I can tell looks like Bailey may have gone out of business? their website is still up but says they were moving to a new website in 2013... also no other shops appear to sell them.

So looks like there are few options unless I want to buy an expensive Forge, Turbosmart or APR diverter valve or chance it with the Febi Bilstein for the Audi 1.8T...