Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 044 pump
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi , has anyone uprated the wiring to the fuel pump when fitting a Bosch 044 pump ? If so what is involved please ?

I have 044 pump installed but finding the fuel pump is running all the time , even with the key removed from the ignition ! This is with a solid state dme relay , when I switch this over for oe relay it all works as it should , pressurizing for 3 seconds then stop when ignition turned on .
I have previously removed alarm but cant see anywhere this was patched into fuel pump circuit so present thinking is the solid state relay may be too sensitive for 35 year old wiring causing relays to stay open . Grounds have been cleaned .
Thanks simon

Post subject: Re: 044 pump
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
The solid state relay could be faulty I have the same but it's fine. If there's a bad earth somewhere it may be causing a reverse current flow which is triggering the relay. I've had some wierd electrical problems e.g. 1.With side lights on the immobiliser is inactive i.e. it started without, put the solid state dme relay in cured it.
2. Parasitic drain traced to o/s dip beam circuit which is not used as n/s triggers seperate headlamp relays. Pulled fuse.
Still baffled.

Post subject: Re: 044 pump
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Thanks for the reply Endoman , don't think its the relay as it works fine in the other car , that was the reason I bought that relay ,no moving parts to go wrong . I'll have another go at the grounds , I believe the fuel pump ground is the one between the rear lights on the back panel but there are some grounds I didn't do under the dashboard near ecu .
If not I have found a post about upgrading the wiring.