Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 924s - coolant drip around oil cooler
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:49 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Team,

I have this little drip of coolant on the lower left hand 13mm bolt. When I say drip, it is not evident when the engine runs it's just when I get back under the car the next day I can see it and maybe one or two drops on the under tray. There is no obvious coolant loss when looking at the header tank. The picture below shows the exact location. Interestingly this bolt was not tight to the block and I could turn it by hand 180 degrees before it tightened up.

Looking at the service records the Oil cooler seals were replaced in 2004 by a Porsche Garage as they noted it leaked.

So before I start chasing things around.....am I being over paranoid? I have replaced the water pump, belts etc and can not trace the weep higher up behind the pump etc. So it would appear to come the oil cooler. But I suppose with gravity it could of course start higher...just can't see it. There is no milkshake in the expansion tank. I have read up on Clark's guide and it seems a bit involved to say the least!

So question is, would you just monitor the situation? Really don't want to start taking things apart again unnecessarily. I'm due for an oil change late summer so was thinking of keeping an eye on it until then.

Never really noticed any drip before, but then again, wasn't really looking for one.

It is just a drip, may two or three drips...but not a drip, drip, like you just left the tap on.....

What do you think my options are please?

Thanks,

Michael

Attachments:
IMG_1772.jpeg
IMG_1772.jpeg [ 99.59 KiB | Viewed 2708 times ]

Post subject: Re: 924s - coolant drip around oil cooler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:26 pm 

OK...had a good play around this morning. I tightened the lower left and right oil cooler bolts a bit more as well.

Car on ramps, started and waited until fans came on, around 15 mins and ran for a further 10 mins. So a total of 25mins on the ramps (good maths eh?!)

I had thoroughly cleaned and degreased around the oil cooler and close areas prior to starting, so nice and dry.
Whilst running, there were no drips at all and could not see any starting in any of these areas. This was after 25 mins of being under the car. The fans came on twice, so I know it got to temperature and beyond twice.

So, I know the car wasn't under load properly but just asking if I had a tiny weep around the oil cooler wouldn't this manifest itself from my test above?
I'll keep popping under the car throughout the day......a nice place to be........to see if any drips appear.

Thanks,

All comments welcome!

M

Post subject: Re: 924s - coolant drip around oil cooler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:48 pm 

Well...UPDATE ALERT....

Found my weeny leak. So good news, I suppose. The location is just by the lower water pump area. See picture below. I have tightened up the two 10mm bolts a good 3/4 as located by my fingers. The red arrow indicated where the leak is. Took a good 2 hrs to manifest itself after shut down....but there it was like a little 'pink panther diamond'............

I have, by shear luck, another w/p gasket. It seems, to be coming from no where else. I even did a "dribble test" just to accelerate the leak to see where it goes and seems to collect around the lower water cooler area. So, I suppose good news on the water cooler being ok...less exciting on the w/p gasket.

Remaining positive, I have tightened the two w/p bolts up and will just have to monitor the situation.....and if it weeps again I have a spare gasket!

M

Attachments:
wp location.jpeg
wp location.jpeg [ 118.87 KiB | Viewed 2614 times ]
wp weep2.jpg
wp weep2.jpg [ 177.29 KiB | Viewed 2614 times ]