It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:23 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What springs for Bilstein B6 shocks
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi All

I didn’t get a response on my last post do trying again

I have decided on Bilstein shocks but they don’t seem to be sold as kits with springs.

Any advice on springs choice ?

What about assister springs for the rear ? Are they advantageous on a road car or overkill?

DC

Post subject: Re: What springs for Bilstein B6 shocks
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:41 pm 

the standard springs and torsion bars are fine with B6, mainly because you use your current strut casings,

B6 rears will not accept assist springs there are no perches for them

B6 will uprate you damping by about 20% and you will no have compression damping as well as rebound,

for road use and keeping your fillings in your teeth I would just stay standard unless you plan to lower the car massively, in which case you will need to consider ball joint lowering kits as the roll center will become below ground level, and really screw up the handling,

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7868
If you are decided on B6’s for the front, then why not go for the B6 option on the rear? At least you will have a known starting point and can then chop & change as you wish. Given you have a 29 year old car, anything will be an improvement over what is on there now if still original fitment.
Waylander has fitted B6 rears only but does have relatively new standard fronts- just a mere 12 years old, and is very happy with the level of performance from the current set up. At some point, he will let me hack his front struts up so I can do the B6 conversion on them but for now, what he has works well for him. Which I guess, is kind of the point; suspension is subjective and about feel - what feels good for one person may be a bone shaker for someone else or a wallowy old pig, not that I’m suggesting that Waylander’s 968 is either!! Just trying to illustrate the example.

As you don’t intend doing trackdays and want to retain originality and the rear ARB, the B6 option ticks all the boxes.

If you want to consider helper springs, then aren't these part of a coilover solution which goes against your original requirements if I have read your post correctly?

There is lots of information about the various options that members have tried on the forum, but it’s a subject that has been done to death and unfortunately it is a case of using the search function with perhaps different key words to filter down the results to find the feedback that you might be looking for.

Before you spend any hard earned cash on any new boingy bits, get the car properly set up by someone that knows what they are doing and can do so for how you drive the car. Get their feedback on whether or not it would benefit from new kit - it may be that just new bushes all round is what’s required to give a new lease of life.

I wish I could offer some insight on the performance of the B6 rears but all I have done is fit them and the car remains on the lift awaiting further attention :roll:

Didn’t see Waylander had responded whilst I was writing this...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:00 pm 

All Info is good H

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7630
Spax, and I have a set available with not many miles on them...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:50 am 

Im in the process of renewing the ARB bushes as well as fitting Hartech wishbones as the ball joints were worn along with new tie rod ends and a new u shaft do that will make a big difference.

I was under the impression that the springs would weaken over time and as the shocks really needed replaced I should do the springs at the same time.

I have had a good look through the archives but most had gone for HR lowering springs which I’m not bothered about given the terrible state of our roads.

I’ll go seek out some standard springs

Thanks for all the comments

DC