Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944 1989 sunroof operation issues
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:30 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
With nothing much else to do during lockdown the old 944 has been getting attention.
For the last year or more the sunroof has not been taken out completely because the arms lifting wont retract. Previous articles have helped and bought a universal pack of trim remover tools and new poppers and located the motor in the rear N/S side panel.
I started winding the motor manually to retract the arms, but obviously did not wind it far enough and checked the motor to raise it to make sure it still worked afterwards. Which it did.
As the thing is managed by microswitches, I got some electrical cleaner spray and decided to clean all the connectors to the relays and switches.
Levering out the lowest switch attached to the bracket holding the motor, I must have bridged 2 of the spade connectors underneath and the motor came into life and fully retracted the lifter arms.
With the sunroof out, I was able to check all the sunroof drainholes and confirm that they were clear, as I had been getting a leak from the side of the sunroof which was affecting the headlining trim. So its a new sunroof perimeter trim needed.
I am now going to try and find out if its the switch at the front of the sunroof which is not sending power to the one on the motor which I bridged.
The complicated system of switches on these cars are the main reason they stop operating. The motor and cable system with a rotating timer plate at the back of the motor which operates 4 switches (one to raise, one to stop when tilting; one to retract and one to stop when taking the roof panel right out) are the likely cause of failure. Trouble is people are less patient and start attacking the sunroof with levers which damages the less robust plastic cog lifters and I would imagine that most of the faulty sunroofs with uneven or sticking opening operation are caused by general ignorance in this way.
So do I actually fix the problem and get it all going as it should, or bridge the switch with another simple rocker switch which I could run up to to somewhere near the dashboard?
I think I'll try and do it properly....first.

Post subject: Re: 944 1989 sunroof operation issues
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 pm 

The front microswitch will stop it opening but not necessarily closing. You should be be able to hear if it is working or not as it will give a distinct click when you push it. It is quite stiff so a reasonable push is required.
Clarks garage has a decent trouble shooting list and there is a relay too in the fuse box under the bonnet

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:28 pm 

I feel the electric sunroof should be fully functioning as intended. Both for personal satisfaction as an enthusiast & if the time comes to sell, another enthusiast might appreciate this over others with issues. Especially on a classic.

Follow the diagram as suggested & take it step by step; you should manage to solve it as you have already made progress with the spade connectors.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-03.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 am 

Hi,

The arms will fully retract with the key in ignition at the first turn. Not the position that lights up your dash. With the key in the first position press the switch on your console next to the gear stick and this should fully retract the arms.

This works when the micro switch in the boot fixed to the motor housing is pressed or activated by the white cam housing. This is the single micro switch located behind the motor.

Hope that helps.

Kam