Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlamp Levelling Motors Update
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:48 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8768
We spent 4 hours today working on this issue.

We pulled the whole front loom out and cut it open from left to right across the front. The headlamp levelling motor wires were not inside the loom and the loom had not been interfered with by a previous owner (which believe me makes a change).

We now think that someone replaced the front loom and replaced it with one that did not have the motors connected, hence the wires to each motor were cut away from the original loom.

The controller (with 0, 1 & 2 on) in the car is connected to the internal loom that runs through the passenger foot well and up to the fuse box (below windscreen - LHS). I suspect then that when the new front loom was connected, the head lamp motors bit were not connected to the fuse box (Because the wires where not in the replacement loom).

I am going to make the front loom which is easy. I'll connect the RHS motor to the LHS motor and continue the loom up to the fuse box. Hopefully, I can ask an car electronics expect to workout where to tap the new loom to in the fuse box. To the internal car side.

On a separate note, behind the passenger footwell door was a disaster. Looks like two alarms have been tapped in there (I am having them removed) but the boxes, connectors etc all hanging lose. Makes me cry to see it. If anyone has a photo of how it should look, would be grateful (mine is 1988/9).

Anyway, will update on progress.

Post subject: Re: Headlamp Levelling Motors Update
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Sounds a nightmare Rachel. I had a Mk2 Granada estate once with a leaking heater. When I stripped all the centre console out it had had multiple radios & mobile phones in. The mountain of redundant wiring when I'd finished was very impressive.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5