Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Passenger side rear carpet damp.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I should start by saying hello. I've had my first Porsche for a few years and have enjoyed the experience, both driving and working on it.

The car is a 1990 944 S2. High miles but well kept and original. It gets used as much as possible and seems to appreciate it. The car has never let me down in the 3 ish years I've had it. It's no garage queen however and gets used year round, which means I've spent time and money replacing parts that have had their day. At 207,000 miles you can imagine it's ongoing.

So the issue I have now is a damp rear footwell in the passenger side. Strange, when I first bought the car it leaked like a sieve. After spending some painstaking hours sorting things the car has been as dry as a bone. I pulled the carpets back which were glued down expecting to find some saturated underlay, but there's no underlay under rear carpets (normal??) And it's not wet under there. So water is coming from above, surely sunroof... Yet the drain holes are flowing and the seal seems fine. No evidence of a leak from above either.
Has anyone any experience of damp rear footwells. Where did you track it down to? Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks
Hoofy.

Post subject: Re: Passenger side rear carpet damp.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm 

Hi

there are a number of places it can come in, and we have had a lot of rain in the last few days,

I would start with all the drains everywhere,

In the Heater air box tray right at the ends both sides,

all four roof drains

the inner seal as that can capillary action from the sunroof gutter into the car

the hoses on the roof might have just started to degrade a little and be slack on the necks of the sunroof gully

the rear quarter light rubbers

If you park the car on a slope is the rear foot well the lowest part?

might give a clue

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

Post subject: Re: Passenger side rear carpet damp.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm 

Thanks for your help.
I've since been considering how it's been parked which is usually on a flat drive, however I did have the car jacked up at the rear whilst I was recently replacing the CV boots for mot. Wondering now of that was when the rain water got in. It would make sense as it's been very dry in all the previous downpours. I will let it dry and get a dehumidifier in there. And if it comes back I will start to go through that list.
Many thanks