Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:52 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Will a more powerful starter motor help with starting issue?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Morning all,

Had a look through a few posts already and seems there is a few owners with issues when with starting/cranking. I too have issues with some hesitation/slowness when it comes to starting the car. Mostly its been fine but a few times its taken quite a while and I don't fancy getting caught out with the kids in the car.

So my car is actually a lux model '86 but with S2 3.0 engine and running gear. Does anyone else have slow crank/starting issues. I've tested the battery with a battery tester and all seems good, i'm wondering wether there are options for a bigger starter motor on these cars which might help, or should I be checking somewhere/something else such as potential bad grounds or poor/corroded wiring. With the starter motor location at the bottom I'm wondering if that could be a cause? I read somewhere that the standard motor is a 1.4kw, does anyone know if there is a bigger starter motor option for these cars from a different Porsche model perhaps?

Welcome any input as always people.

Thanks

Harry

Post subject: Re: Will a more powerful starter motor help with starting is
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:50 pm 

Either buy a new or reconditioned starter or strip your own down and clean it up and you will notice a difference. The standard starter when working well is more than adequate. They can be somewhat puffed out 30 odd years down the line........

In saying that mine is 30 years old and still spinning strong, they are well made, old school items.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:27 pm 

scam75 wrote:
Either buy a new or reconditioned starter or strip your own down and clean it up and you will notice a difference. The standard starter when working well is more than adequate. They can be somewhat puffed out 30 odd years down the line........

In saying that mine is 30 years old and still spinning strong, they are well made, old school items.

Stuart

Thanks for the response, I managed to speak with the previous owner, and he mentioned that the starter motor has had some work done on it previously, and the battery allbeit only a few years old, did run flat so I'll check it again and check if it is standard/powerful enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:46 pm 

you might need to replace the main power cable, and all the ground straps, they corrode internally, (all green between the cores) increases the resistance dramatically.

the best way to check is to get a competent auto electrician to measure the drop voltage at start and the CCA (cold Cranking Amps)

if its a hot start crank and crank, you will need to replace the pressure retaining valve in the fuel pump

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:20 pm 

Waylander wrote:
you might need to replace the main power cable, and all the ground straps, they corrode internally, (all green between the cores) increases the resistance dramatically.

the best way to check is to get a competent auto electrician to measure the drop voltage at start and the CCA (cold Cranking Amps)

if its a hot start crank and crank, you will need to replace the pressure retaining valve in the fuel pump

thanks that could prove very useful. thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:33 pm 

I have a WOSP hi torque starter. It doesn't make it start like a more modern vehicle but it does start a bit easier, makes a nicer noise and is lighter than the original.