Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I bought a new 944 and i have a lot of questions.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello Tipec.

I have been a browser on here for many years but have never really posted much. I have had a 1982 944 2.5 Lux for a number of years as a restoration project, I've completed a lot of work on the car over the years, however I recently bought a rather large project in the form of a house, so the 1982 944 got put on the back burner and was untouched for a long time. With that in mind I just went out and bought an on the road project in the form of a 1989 2.7.

Although both my cars are 944s the amount of differences between the two cars is incredible, a lot of parts that I thought would swap straight over... Don't!

The car was sat unused for a number of months prior to my ownership and i think that the car has a paratic battery drain which is proving very annoying. If I google "944 battery drain" the results are astronomical. First of all i am going to replace the battery and try to rule a duff battery out of the equation. Once that is done I will have to get a new tester and read the amps which are being drawn with everything off and start popping fuses out. Does anyone know what some of the common drains are? Im guessing central locking/alarm is probably up there at the top.I have seen a lot of refference in topics online about the clarks garage article on battery drains, but i cant seem to find it.

My last question for now is about oil. I recently read a thread on here about oil recommendations for vehicles used on a regular basis. Some one had recommended the rebranded Shell/Tripple QX stuff with quite a lot of other members support, however i can not seem to find that thread. What oil should i be running in my 2.7 over winter if im using it on a regular basis?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hiDZ2E]Image

Thanks

Post subject: Re: I bought a new 944 and i have a lot of questions.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7008
Get yourself comfortable and have a read through this earlier discussion about oil for your 944 - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13839

Cheers,
Bryan

Post subject: Re: I bought a new 944 and i have a lot of questions.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:11 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
I've been running Mobil 10/40 semi all year round but recently discovered Fuchs proR full synthetic 10/40 and 1400+ Zddp. I think 10/60 a bit heavy for winter use.