Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Q Drive - ECP - CV's and drive shafts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:32 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Morning All (also posted on PCGB but worth sharing here too!)

You may recall I swapped out my drive shafts complete with new CV's when I had all my gearbox trouble (about 6k miles ago), as it happened my original shafts and CV's were not the problem. ECP supplied me 2 complete shafts and joints for the princely sum of £90 a side. This was discussed at the time and there may have been a sweepstake among the detractors about how long these things would last! Well we got the answer yesterday, 6k miles before a catastrophic CV failure. Accelerating in 1st away from a junction as I passed through about 4k revs the inner OS joint disintegrated!

At first fearing a gearbox failure, as I lost all drive, I was a tad crestfallen. Cruised to a halt and noticed that car behaved properly with clutch engaged in neutral and breathed a sigh of relief. Stuck my head under the back to see a grease packed ball bearing staring at me and noticed a few others along the path I trundled to a halt on! There was nothing at all left connected to the output shaft. Luckily was only half a mile from home so got the car recovered and got to work. Once I got the shaft loosened and removed a further 4 grease covered balls fell out the outer joint! Dug out my old (perfectly fine) shafts and refitted the OS one. Test drive gladly confirmed nothing else had suffered any damage, phew!

The NS shaft is still intact but ran out of time to swap it out, but will do it in the near future.

So it was either a defective joint or that the Q Drive stuff is just made of Plasticine and balsa wood and not fit for purpose. I suspect the latter.

I shall contact ECP and see what they say. My receipt tells me June 18 they were purchased so chances of any recompense are slim but 6k miles is a joke.

Steer clear of these products chaps!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

Post subject: Re: Q Drive - ECP - CV's and drive shafts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am 

Lesson learned then Stu, £90 is about 20% the cost of genuine

I have no experience of Q Drive stuff but for high power cars sounds like a waste of cash

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 am 

Defo Martin. Noticed it was actually CP4L I got them from, same company though. I have sent them a message regarding my disappointment and also took time to tell them that their "Pagid" brake pads are no longer fit for purpose and that I am an extremely disappointed loyal customer!

I will report back on their reply, I've just left it as "what are you prepared to do for me in light of the circumstances". Breath will not be held!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:36 pm 

Don’t think you will get much joy, my mate is a manager of a Euro Branch and I don’t get any slack when it comes to returns

All the pagid brakes I have bought from them have been crap, now buying Brembo from GSF, as another mate is a manager there

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 pm 

Probably not but they ought to know they're selling stuff not fit for purpose.

Yeah the Pagid pads are crap. I've fitted Textars on the front and Brembos on the rear and the car stops much sharper and with no squeal.

I'm still using their Pagid discs all round which seem fine.

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:54 pm 

Well they have authorised a return for both shafts. I've took the other one off now and put the original one back on. Car is fine.

The 2nd removed shaft which although hadn't collapsed, wasn't great upon removal, with bearings departing the cage upon removal. Poor quality stuff.

Fair play however for them authorising a return as they are about 16 months old.

Stuart