Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:34 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Level Light?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8768
Is this the light on the oil pressure gauge? Or is there another light I haven't seen?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Oil Level Light?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:49 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
There is a separate low oil level light. Left of dash, should illuminate with ignition on and go out when engine starts. They usually light up when the dipstick is half way between min and max needing a half litre top up.

The low oil pressure light is incorporated into the oil pressure guage or druck as the Germans call it!

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:02 pm 

scam75 wrote:
There is a separate low oil level light. Left of dash, should illuminate with ignition on and go out when engine starts. They usually light up when the dipstick is half way between min and max needing a half litre top up.

The low oil pressure light is incorporated into the oil pressure guage or druck as the Germans call it!

Thank you, mine is not coming on!! So do you that is a bulb on the dash or sender? Or both lol!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:08 am 

If the light is not coming on then check the bulb first. The clocks come out and come apart very easily and you will easily be able to see where it is when you open it. Also remember that the clock pod covers most models, and not all models have all the bulbs in depending on spec, so don't be alarmed at "missing" bulbs.

The sender is in the sump but check out the bulb situation first.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:59 pm 

scam75 wrote:
If the light is not coming on then check the bulb first. The clocks come out and come apart very easily and you will easily be able to see where it is when you open it. Also remember that the clock pod covers most models, and not all models have all the bulbs in depending on spec, so don't be alarmed at "missing" bulbs.

The sender is in the sump but check out the bulb situation first.

Stuart

That is brilliant, thank you Stuart.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 pm 

Took dash out, all bulbs good.

My oil is on the max on the stick, so wondering if the oil level light will come on at all? Or does it come on when you swith to 2nd position, no matter what?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:05 am 

It should come on with the ignition and then go out when you start the car, assuming the level is ok. It says "Engine Oil" and has a little dipstick. You can see a picture in this link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... light.html

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:13 pm 

scam75 wrote:
It should come on with the ignition and then go out when you start the car, assuming the level is ok. It says "Engine Oil" and has a little dipstick. You can see a picture in this link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... light.html

Stuart

Ah, yes. That bulb is all good. Probably the sendee end at the sump!!!! Oh joy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:38 pm 

If the bulb is good check the fuse. All the sender does is trigger the light when it spots low oil level. A duff sender would not cause no light on ignition I wouldn't think. It may well be a faulty sender and the previous owner has removed the fuse to put the light out? You may well have multiple problems but first you need to get the bulb illuminated and proceed from there.

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:03 pm 

scam75 wrote:
If the bulb is good check the fuse. All the sender does is trigger the light when it spots low oil level. A duff sender would not cause no light on ignition I wouldn't think. It may well be a faulty sender and the previous owner has removed the fuse to put the light out? You may well have multiple problems but first you need to get the bulb illuminated and proceed from there.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, apart from the one in the fuse box, is there another in line anywhere?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:11 pm 

I don't think so but I'm no expert on electrics.

You could also have a PCB fault in the clock pod if you're sure the bulb is good. Always good having a spare clock pod for stuff like this.

Stuart

Last edited by scam75 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:12 pm 

scam75 wrote:
I don't think so but I'm no expert on electrics.

No problems. Thank you for replying. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8044
This got me thinking. I didn't recall seeing this on my 86 Lux so I had a look this morning. The position you've mentioned is a warning light to say that the parking brake is on (not brake wear as previously stated (that's at the top of the fuel and temp gauge)). I wonder when Porsche introduced the oil level light and why. Maybe a lot of owners were not checking the level. As the 944 was the original city trader car I guess regular weekend maintenance was not very likely.

Matt

Last edited by Matt749 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:02 pm 

Matt749 wrote:
This got me thinking. I didn't recall seeing this on my 86 Lux so I had a look this morning. The position you've mentioned is a warning light for brake pad wear. I wonder when Porsche introduced the oil level light and why. Maybe a lot of owners were not checking the level. As the 944 was the original city trader car I guess regular weekend maintenance was not very likely.

Matt

I'll get some city braces, maybe the light will come on? Lol!!!! :D