Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine Mounts
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
What a PITA :twisted:

Noticed that I had a bit of engine vibration at low revs (warm idle) now I've got the turbo running again so decided to treat it to a set of new engine mounts. I've gone through the history I have which pretty much goes back to 1994 and no mention anywhere of engine mounts.

I've measured them and they appear to be within spec (65mm) with a dodgy ruler consisting of a ice lolly stick wedged into the crossmember :lol:

1st picture is the passenger side mount, 2nd drivers side mount - ignore the liquid that is penetrating fluid.

Image Image

So I've managed to undo the bottom nut on the drivers side mount and also the front top bolt (almost completely rounded it off trying with a 13mm ratchet wrench but managed to make a 3 foot socket extension snake and get enough purchase to loosen it). No such luck with the rear top bolt though as there is hardly any room at all. I've tried a crow foot wrench from above with socket extensions but can't get enough pressure on it. the Exhaust headers are in the way of any other types of sockets. I noticed there is a slit in the alloy arm that the mount attaches to so hoping that when I lower the cross member I can knock the mount out backwards with a hammer to slide the bolt through the slot?

TBH I was about to give up until I had success with the front top bolt! :bounce:

Post subject: Re: Engine Mounts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:29 am 

Don’t think you will have much luck as the mount also sits in a slot in the crossmember,

When I did mine with a bit less in the way, I still had to lower the crossmember a bit each side while jacking up the engine

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

Post subject: Re: Engine Mounts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:57 pm 

Well I've given up - there is no way the rear top bolt will come out there is about 3cm of clearance between the top of the bolt and the exhaust header so as I can't get enough torque with a combination spanner it would have to come out with a socket (like the front top bolt) and that means removing the exhaust manifold to be able to get a socket on it.

The existing mounts aren't torn or leaking so maybe they were changed at some point and I just don't have the documentation for them, also my measurements of 65mm seem to be within spec.

I now have some expensive mounts as ornaments until I can be asked to find a competent garage to do the job for me :lol: