Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Wideband AFR Gauge / Sensor - 944 Turbo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Folks - looking for recommendations on an AFR gauge and wideband sensor, as you may have seen from my other thread I'm troubleshooting a rich fueling problem and would be great if I can see what is going on via the AFR gauge.

I'm pretty keen on the AEM digital gauges and also the Defi Racer gauges (not sure if Defi do an AFR gauge though).

Also for installation I'm guessing I just need to drill a hole which will allow the tip of the sensor to point down at an angle to avoid condensation and that a good location is in the exit pipe underneath the gear stick? If I drill the hole myself I guess I can then drive to a local garage and get them to weld the bung on for me?

Also another question - do any of you guys still have the stock O2 sensor? mine is jumpered currently using the correct plug, there is a sensor in the downpipe but I think it is toast - the good thing is that I can undo it (the reason it may not have been been replaced recently was that it was stuck). Should I replace it and remove the jumper plug and reconnect the O2 sensor?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Which Wideband AFR Gauge / Sensor - 944 Turbo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm 

My car never had an O2 sensor. I have got and AEM ugo (spelling?) and it works well it has a digital read out plus an LED sweep which makes it really easy to see at a glance.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:18 pm 

I've had an Innovate AFR kit on mine for 8 or 9 years. The standard narrow band sensor is still in the downpipe, but I doubt it's doing much after 28 years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:31 pm 

scam75 wrote:
My car never had an O2 sensor. I have got and AEM ugo (spelling?) and it works well it has a digital read out plus an LED sweep which makes it really easy to see at a glance.

Stuart

Hey Stuart - did you install your wideband sensor into the bung on the downpipe from the turbo? That is where my o2 sensor is so wondering if I just replace it with the wideband sensor and then I can output the narrowband signal to the stock o2 sensor wiring harness with the AEM gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 pm 

Yes I used the factory bung on the downpipe. You may be advised not to use this as it is too close to the turbo. However mine has been on for about 8 years and the sensor still works great and my readings have always seemed consistent enough. Maybe I have been lucky but either way it's worked just fine there. I do still have a spare bung and the plan was to locate it further down the exhaust if I had any issues or burnt out the sensor. Neither has happened. Standard Bosch sensor came with the kit.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.