Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake pad damping plates
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:05 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
What are these for & is Porsche the only place to get them?

Don't recall having these when I replace brake pads on my other cars :scratch:

Post subject: Re: Brake pad damping plates
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 4190
I assume this is an S2 or Turbo with the Brembos'? They are a Brembo thing in the style they are, I never used them when I had mine & didn't really notice any excess noise.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:09 am 

I've ran with and without shims. The pedal is a bit sharper without them but the risk of squeal increases, especially with M030 calipers. I recently done a front disc and pad change and soon after I was getting squealing at low speed braking. Yesterday I reinstalled the OEM shims and they are quiet again. If I wasnt getting any squeal I'd run without the shims.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:21 am 

Great info guys.

Yes, an S2 with Brembos.

As the car has been sitting quite a while & although pads/discs still quite good, will be fitting new discs/pads & would like to get everything in order...but couldn't understand the purpose of these pads. There are 2 sizes with the most expensive at €11.53 + VAT + delivery x 8!

Visually, I don't seem to see them currently fitted & never had any squealing. Will be fitting Brembo pads & still looking at Discs.

So, maybe could have a go without them & if need be, do them later!?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:07 am 

TIPEC membership: 8483
I've just changed discs and pads on my S2 and haven't bothered with them. Done a couple of hundred miles so far and no noise. I used Brembo pads which have soft backing pad on them anyway to combat squeal so I thought the flower clips were overkill.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:32 am 

simonwedge wrote:
I've just changed discs and pads on my S2 and haven't bothered with them. Done a couple of hundred miles so far and no noise. I used Brembo pads which have soft backing pad on them anyway to combat squeal so I thought the flower clips were overkill.

What brand discs have you used?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:48 am 

I have got the same size pads at the back as the S2 fronts. I run those without shims and they are fine. The M030 calipers are bigger and the standard shims are 4 units. Each one is a rectangular pad with 2 piston size solid cylinders. I've always found the M030 calipers with bigger pistons are more prone to squeal. Also brembo make the pads with a metal shim installed which should do just fine without need for the OEM shims. Pagid pads do not come with shims as you say and in my experience with Pagid discs and pads on M030 fronts I nearly always get some degree of squeal, either horrendous on hot days with warm brakes, or not so bad when cooler. The shims stop it completely.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8483
karozza wrote:
simonwedge wrote:

What brand discs have you used?

I fitted Sebro discs from ECP and they're fine. I avoided the Pagid discs which were cheaper as there were a few people on here saying that they'd experienced warping with these.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:41 pm 

[quote="scam75"]I have got the same size pads at the back as the S2 fronts. I run those without shims and they are fine. The M030 calipers are bigger and the standard shims are 4 units. Each one is a rectangular pad with 2 piston size solid cylinders. I've always found the M030 calipers with bigger pistons are more prone to squeal. Also brembo make the pads with a metal shim installed which should do just fine without need for the OEM shims. Pagid pads do not come with shims as you say and in my experience with Pagid discs and pads on M030 fronts I nearly always get some degree of squeal, either horrendous on hot days with warm brakes, or not so bad when cooler. The shims stop it completely.

Stuart[/quote

I don't think I have M030 calipers but how would I recognise which I have? To my knowledge, they are Brembo with both front & rear having 2 bleeding nipples on each caliper. Also, I'm sure I do not have the M030 suspension set up.

I have read that the S2 has the same pads front & rear, which I have ordered them Brembo.

Regarding Discs, I wanted Brembo but ECP only had the front ones at a reasonable price.. As was not in a hurry, waited for them maybe to have the rears, as it turns, now they don't even have the fronts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:09 pm 

GSF normally stock Brembo, just put a set on the front of my A4 and they squeal like a bit*h

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:01 pm 

Brakes can be a pain!

If you have same size pads front and back then you dont have M030. Standard S2 and non M030 turbo have same size pads back and front although the front calipers bigger pistons. M030 is a 304mm disc same as the 928 of the same era. Your disc is a bit smaller.

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:15 am 

ECP now have the Brembo front discs at £68.99 for the pair delivered!

Product Code: 10433020A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
M030 fronts (my old 993 ones) without shims and Textar pads no squeal. I used Wurth anti squeal spray on the backs. Pagid yellows would squeal whatever I tried.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:26 pm 

Yeah Pagid pads are bad for squeal but the OEM shims stop it. I recall running TRW pads for a while and they were mostly ok but now and then liked a wee shrill at low speed stopping. Like you I've tried every which way but loose to stop Pagid pads squealing. Copper slip, various sprays and pastes, various universal dampers and shims and I found only the proper OEM shims did the job. They can be re-used thankfully which is good at over £100 an axle!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 pm 

On the 968 I have paid disks and EBC ultimax brake pads, no squeals brakes seem quite good enough for road use, I did have the same disks and EBC reds

I found that I had to get the reds hot before they really started to work and that really upset the cheapish pagid disks, two warped sets later I gave up and went for a softer pad

So far so good, and no shims

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car