Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seat Question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Prophead wrote:
IanK wrote:
Hi all,

removed the front seats yesterday in readiness for having them retrimmed.

Are they missing a cover at the front to hide the motors etc - I noticed a couple of unsused brackets with U-nuts.

Thanks

Probably too late for this now - but for anyone else - these seats don't need re-trimmed, they can be restored / repaired at a fraction of the price (even colour changed) if thats what you were after. I know because it is what I do. Admittedly it'll never be quite as good as freshly trimmed new leather but very decent results can be had.

Can vouch for that as my seats and steering wheel will testify to!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7133
Prophead wrote:
Probably too late for this now - but for anyone else - these seats don't need re-trimmed, they can be restored / repaired at a fraction of the price (even colour changed) if thats what you were after. I know because it is what I do. Admittedly it'll never be quite as good as freshly trimmed new leather but very decent results can be had.

Thats a good point - I did consider this but as the seats had been filled in several places and painted at some time in the past. They were actually pretty horrible despite looking Ok from a distance. The leather was rock hard and the perforations mostly filled. In fact the seat back panels were distorted outwards at the edges as though the leather had shrunk after painting and they didnt sit properly in the bolsters.

I guess they may have been restorable but I didnt want to risk being dissapointed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:10 pm 

ExAudiSi wrote:
Found it!

The part number is 928 521 760 04 01C.
It is a different shape to the one on my 968 which only has electric height adjustment.

Looks like it might be the right one for your seat as it has the hole in which would line up with the hex socket, which I guess is the emergency winder to move the seat back and forth without power.

Good call - my OPC has come to the same conclusion. They can get this part for £15.70 - but I cant return the other one as it was ordered in. Im sure someone on here will take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:19 pm 

IanK wrote:
ExAudiSi wrote:
Found it!

It is a different shape to the one on my 968 which only has electric height adjustment.

Looks like it might be the right one for your seat as it has the hole in which would line up with the hex socket, which I guess is the emergency winder to move the seat back and forth without power.

Good call - my OPC has come to the same conclusion. They can get this part for £15.70 - but I cant return the other one as it was ordered in. Im sure someone on here will take it.

I'll take the other one Ian. Send me a PM and we can sort it out.

Cheers

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:26 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
IanK wrote:
Prophead wrote:

Thats a good point - I did consider this but as the seats had been filled in several places and painted at some time in the past. They were actually pretty horrible despite looking Ok from a distance. The leather was rock hard and the perforations mostly filled. In fact the seat back panels were distorted outwards at the edges as though the leather had shrunk after painting and they didnt sit properly in the bolsters.

I guess they may have been restorable but I didnt want to risk being dissapointed.

That's fair enough, hard to tell the exact condition just from a photo. Hard leather is recoverable to a good soft condition with the right products, I still get amazed at how well the material can respond to the correct treatments.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
IanK wrote:
ExAudiSi wrote:
Found it!

If you would like mine, you are welcome to it for the cost of the postage. Unless you are going to Silverstone for the WEC at the weekend, in which case I can bring it with me?

It has never been used and my OPC replaced it with the correct one FOC and didn't want this one back.
It's been sitting on the shelf in the garage for about 12 years as it was one of the first parts I bought for mine when I got it.

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:08 am 

Simon,

thats great - many thanks.

Stuart, only fair to offer as Simon has to me - just cover the postage and its yours.

I'll PM you both.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:00 am 

Super stuff Ian, thanks. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:59 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4734
No problem.

Glad that it will be of use.

1992 968 Coupe in midnight blue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:33 pm 

Seats now in and also got the cassette box lid covered in the same leather.

Attachment:
20191008_192700(small).jpg
20191008_192700(small).jpg [ 129.65 KiB | Viewed 5395 times ]

I have to say Im pleased with the result. Espacially as your shirt doesnt stick to them like it did on the old painted leather. :D

They look slightly grey compared to the original trim in this pic but not so much in real life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:36 pm 

they look just lovely.

nice job

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
IanK wrote:
Seats now in and also got the cassette box lid covered in the same leather.

Attachment:
20191008_192700(small).jpg

I have to say Im pleased with the result. Espacially as your shirt doesnt stick to them like it did on the old painted leather. :D

They look slightly grey compared to the original trim in this pic but not so much in real life.

Look great!

As for your shirt sticking to the previously painted seats - unfortunately as with any trade there are cowboys and quick buck makers out there that cut corners and do bodge jobs :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am 

Nice result Ian!