Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:13 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Body Trim / Number Plate Installation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Folks,

I'm almost ready to get my 944 Turbo back on the road and MOT'd and wanted some opinions on how to install the body coloured side trim (bump strips) and number plates.

I'm still not 100% sure if I will install the side trim as I've seen a lot of 944s without it and it does look much cleaner, but then the other side of me wants it to look original with the trim pieces in place.

I've done some research and it appears that the correct stuff to use is a double sided tape from 3M, however I'm not sure which double sided 3M tape as there appears to be so many different types and thicknesses.

I also need to re-attach the "Turbo" script badge to the rear having removed most of the old black tape / glue from it and now a little unsure of how to stick it back on without it looking bodged, do I get a large piece of the 3M sticky tape and create a template from the badge so I can cut the exact shape out or should I just go and buy a new badge with the tape attached?

My original number plates were attached with double sided black tape so think that is the best option again as I wouldn't have to drill any holes into the rear end or the front bumper - what do you guys think?

Also what are thoughts on the "Porsche" script decal which goes just above the rear bumper under the tail lights? - I haven't got a replacement yet and not sure whether to just leave it off completely or replace it again for originiality.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Body Trim / Number Plate Installation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:17 pm 

Porsche decal, easy to muck up and fit crooked. If not sure, get someone to do I .however, seen a few cars without.
Leave it off and you can always fit later. Same with side trims.

Boxster 2.7 Silver 00 Sold
Boxster S Meridian 01 Sold
928 S2 Prussian Blue 86 Sold
993 C4 Arena Red 97 Sold

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:55 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6926
If IIRC the body strips have tape top and bottom and mastic in middle when they come out of the factory
I’m debating if I should fit mine or not

The door ones also have a screw fixing so I would fit this get the strip level and use a covered magnet on the door to support the other end remove the screw release 2” of the back tape at the screw end replace the screw put the trim on the magnet and pull the backing of the tape carefully keeping it close to the panel

The script on the back can be pain I brought after market but couldn’t get it perfectly around the corners because the angle of the panel changes I think the OEM parts may have a kink to allow you to do this but that’s just a guess I’m buying OEM when I do mine the car definitely looks better with this graphic in place

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 pm 

Thanks guys - might leave them off for now, as you say can always fit them later, also I'm considering getting the car wrapped with some interesting design....

Any pointers on the number plates? sticky tape I guess is better than mutilating the body with a drill?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm 

The Porsche script at the back is relatively (2 attempts) easy to apply. It’s the only decal I re-applied, other than nose badge.

My car is black and I ordered rear script in red as I thought it would stand out on a black car. Measure, tape on decal with masking tape. Spray soapy water and apply with squeegee. I actually found it easier to apply half the decal at a time.

If there are no holes for the number plate I wouldn’t go drilling any and encouraging rust. Double-sided number plate tape will keep the plates in place just fine.

Andy S

1992 Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio
1975 Triumph Stag
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider S2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 am 

TIPEC membership: 666
It is fiddly cutting out double sided trim tape for the 'Turbo' badge.

Bodyshop Factors sell a 'badge tape' which you press the clean badge on to (and I mean 100% clean) . You then pull it off the tape and the badge has a sticky residue all over the back ready to press on to the bodywork. Simples 8)

You can also pick up new badges on Ebay from £5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 pm 

Thanks Guys,

Got the new plates now from Porsche Exeter and some 3M Dual Lock for sticking them on.

I've ordered some 5mm 3M trim tape and will get some of the Loctite Black Silicone Adhesive for the side trim, looking at the workshop manual the tape is used to hold the trim in place whilst the silicone adhesive sets. Might be able to use some of the silicone perhaps for the badge if I hold it on with some masking tape whilst it sets?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 pm 

Silicone adhesive is not really ideal for trims/badges etc, they are messy & a pain to take off if needed.

Adhesive tape is the cleanest application. For the side trims, they do have a specific size due to the recess. 1mm tape is too low & 2mm slightly too high. 1.5mm would have been perfect but I could only find 2mm online & used that which came out quite neat. Only a slight adjustment at the door's edge hole where I used a black plastic rivet. A very keen 944 owner will notice the difference but only if just fitted some trims himself.

Turbo badge as mentioned are reasonably priced, so would be nice to have a fresh one. 944 S2 can be re-used with a little work. Cleaned mine, sprayed & new adhesive(Think I used 1mm), then ready for the painful task of getting them in the factory location!

As for rear decal, or even stone guards, badges etc, if going for the original classic look these cars deserve, they must be there IMO. It shows the car has been taken care of & if any previous damage, it has been remedied as proper as possible.

On the other hand, it is your car & if you prefer without, then you should enjoy as you prefer.