Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WINDSCREEN WASHER SYSTEM PROBLEMS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I hope someone can help, my 84 944 failed due to windscreen washer not working correctly.
I can't get fluid to the nozzles, I've so far installed new pump which is working but only pushes fluid a little way up towards nozzles, I've relaced tubing all round, i'm now completely baffled, could someone help also photo of piping on someones car might help
regards
Richard

Post subject: Re: WINDSCREEN WASHER SYSTEM PROBLEMS
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:00 am 

Eventually sorted by adding a new non return valve on the pick up tube if this helps anyone with a similar problem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:58 pm 

I'm having similar problems on my 84 944, in fact the windscreen washer system has been the bane of my life since owning the car!

Did you replace the non return valve at the foot of the pick up tube, or put another non return valve further up the pipe work?

I've been sorely tempted to rip the whole thing out and put in a manual pump system !

Cheers,
Kev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:49 pm 

kevmey wrote:
I'm having similar problems on my 84 944, in fact the windscreen washer system has been the bane of my life since owning the car!
Did you replace the non return valve at the foot of the pick up tube, or put another non return valve further up the pipe work?
I've been sorely tempted to rip the whole thing out and put in a manual pump system!

What seems to be the issue with your washer system? When I was recommissioning my system, I disconnected the output hose from the pump and blew some air through with my bicycle pump, this cleared any grime that had clogged up the system over the years.

There should be 2 NRV's fitted further up the system close to the washer jets, first in line is a T-Piece NRV, second is a 90deg NRV, both are still available from Porsche(as of early 2018 when I bought them):

914 628 433 00 NRV T-Piece £6.98
477 955 481 NRV Right Angle £6.68

Additionally, braided look hose and the intank filter/NRV are available from Porsche.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
I had this every MOT for my 944 even looking at the history before I owned it. In the end I stripped it all out, cleaned the bottle with a mild bleach solution to clear the bugs & replumbed everything, including new 1 way valve & new jets. Problem solved. Was a very good days work.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 pm 

Thank you for your replies. My windscreen washer woes started soon after buying the car in 2014.

When starting up the washers, the motor squawks like a squashed budgie, straining to pump water/fluid through the pipes. In the meantime the wipers are already going over a dry windscreen - yet another annoyance!

First thing I did was to clean out all the hoses and jets, the NR valve in the water bottle was very gunged up, so that was cleaned and appeared to be working. I took the motor apart cleaned the insides and primed it with a syringe and a length of rubber tubing and also sent water through the system with the syringe to check it was all good. It worked fine for a while...

Then the water tank started leaking, so to get through an mot I stuffed a plastic bag inside the tank and it passed !! I got another tank off the bay, seemed fine - no leaks. I couldn't fit it myself due to miserable ongoing health issues, so I entrusted the work to a local mech, with the instruction, "The tank comes out from under the car". He couldn't figure that one out and decided to pull out the whole headlight swivel mechanism etc and take it out through the top of the engine !! (I wont say what he charged for this, I'm too embarrassed).
He also decided the T piece NR valve wasn't working or necessary and added another 90 deg NRV in the run up to the first jet on the drivers side. Let's say that worked temporarily, but after a while the pump stopped working and was still squawking and the water tank started leaking AGAIN - I think the mechanic forced it into position and busted it.

I'm thinking I probably need a new pump motor, new NRV's throughout, plus hosing, probably jets and of course a new water tank - added up that's quite a whack for something so mundane.

Is there an alternative windscreen washer system owners have tried ?

Cheers,
Kev

1984 944