Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944 prices
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:52 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Been looking through the ads on AT and ebay to get an idea of prices as am thinking about selling the 944 as am hardly using it since getting the Boxster.
To say I am surprised is an understatement.There seems to be hardly any cars under £5K , a few plus some projects.
Anything half decent is over £6K often up near £10K.
Are these prices being achieved or is it just kite flying hoping to find a mug ?
I really have no idea where to pitch the price of my car ,it was bought about 3 years ago and prices then I'm sure were nowhere near where they are today
or, is it all just pie in the sky?
Getting a handle on Boxster prices was much easier ,prices on the old ones are just falling through the floor and there are a lot of them so it's a buyers market.
Anyway, my question is: how do you price a 1988 16v S with average miles (130K) in nice but not concourse condition ( and yes the belts have just been done ) ?

Post subject: Re: 944 prices
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:40 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Filtering the results by ‘completed’ items shows almost nothing has sold at the prices asked, with the exception of a Turbo below 5K, and a couple of cars sub 2K. Of course the nicest examples don’t usually show up on eBay but it gives you an idea.

Prices are to some extent set by the plummeting Boxster prices you mention, insofar as a potential entrant to Porsche world sees this more modern alternative, unless they are committed to a classic.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:42 pm 

I think prices are on the rise. 80’s Classics are very vogue at the moment.

It also has pop-up headlamps which will be forever cool. :lol:

Andy S

1992 Porsche 944 S2 Cabrio
1975 Triumph Stag
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider S2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am 

I've been looking and came to the same conclusion as StratfordShark - Lots of optimistically priced ads, but in terms of actual sales, hardly any.

Looking at data from The Market which only looks at actual sale prices it's not a particularly pretty picture for sellers, although if you ignore 2017 there's a slow but steady rise.

That's looking at 2.5 non turbo's only - mind you, I think that was inflated by a few very low mileage examples that went for good money in 2017.

There was a post on a facebook group of someone offering a 'finders fee' to help him find a buyer for one of the cheaper cars on AT. Was/is a clean looking car too.

My selling plan had been to pop it in ebay, 99p no reserve (after offering it on a few forums of course), but given the slow market that feels rather risky!