PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:58 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
its alloy magnet wont pick it up
8 valve 2.5 na
def got a big particle in it that's for sure

Post subject: Re: oil pressure
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 8044
That doesn't look good. Has the oil pressure recovered now that you've removed the debris from the OPRV? My main concern would be to understand how long it ran with little or no oil pressure now that we know its a real issue rather than just instrumentation, and what damage that might have done to the main bearings. I guess the most definite way would be to do an oil change, run the car for a while and then have an oil analysis done. That way you will see if the main bearings have worn significantly. If so then at least you have a good reason to get deep inside the engine to change the bearing shells and identify the source of the debris.

I just wonder where a big chunk of metal like that has come from within the engine and what caused it to break off.

I wish you luck in finding the source of the debris and I just hope you have caught it in time.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:38 pm 

Have you taken off the oil cooler / oil filter gallery?

That would be my first part of investigation, you can change the seals then whilst you are in there.

You might be lucky and find that chunk of alloy has come off from the inside of the gallery - maybe someone didn't line up the OPRV properly in the car's past and broke a piece off the inside of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:01 pm 

Just an update on this thread I got an endoscope off Ebay and put up sump /down the bores and in the cam cover best I could and every other orifice I could get too ,couldn’t see anything that jumped out to me so new oil and filter and ran it for about an hour or so on and off no issues.
Took it round block a few times all seems ok took it for mot they had it running to get up to temp etc which unfortunately failed on couple places on sills and some advisories so I have got my welder out and it’s been raining ever since .
I have also put it on gumtree as is and have left it at that for now as my garage is nowhere near my house or electric