Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 87 944 VR6T track car project
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I will ask Toby for you, when I see him.

1988 944 Turbo - the Pink Pig
1989 944 2.7
1985 944 It's alive!
1986 944 Automatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:18 am 

Really interesting thread...keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:22 am 

Thanks for the love guys, apologies for the lack of updates, It's not been forgotten about, just been busy with the daily thats pretty much a track car too :lol:

Didn't realise I hadn't updated since May though.

End of May, the car was 99% stripped of bolt on and removable parts, final peice to come out was the windscreen

Made a start on the rotisserie shortly after that

Was a little too high, so decided to shorten them as much as I could, still allowing me to do a full rollover.

Tried it at this height, was pretty much bang on, clearence plus some to allow for some flex once loaded.

I think by pure luck I got them pretty much mm perfect

Then came stripping all the shit from the shell I didnt want/need anymore.
Lots of daft things like mounts for spare wheel & jack, mounts for boot locking pump, battery tray, rear seatbelt mounts, various bits in the front footwells, loads of mounts in the bay for things like expension tank, pop up lights pump, anything I can shed, gone.

Isnt one of these the other side...

Must mean I probably dont need on this side then

Then came carpet underlay and the awful sound deadening sheets.

Rear footwell bits almost just fell out, i hovered the car out and it pretty much sucked the drivers side one out, passenger just peeled out too.

Front started to come off easily, then proved to be pretty stubborn so I decided to wait and try another method.

Do think anti-freeze is the reason the rears came up so easily, and probably because I think they were filling with water before.
When I drained the heater, a fair bit of coolent eneded up in the footwells and I didnt get it all up until a couple of weeks later, so it just sat there.

Underlay foam removal

Such a savage tool, risk to life quite high I'd say if that snags haha

This weekend I tred some of this stuff on a small section on sound deadening.

It kinda worked, but kinda not

Took an entire can for that section, even that wasnt quite enough, and at £15 a can isnt exactly a cheap method
Didnt work as well as I'd hoped, it took quite some hammering and has resulted in some dents
Still left a glue residue behind.

Not impressed, didnt buy anymore. Dy ice would no doubt work considerably better, but isnt really cost effective either.

SO, I tried the one thing I was dead against, heat.
Worked an absolute treat, yeah I have a glue residue still, but I had that from the pipe freeze too so to hell with it.

Still need to get rid of the residue, tar remover worked on a patch so going to get a few bottles of whatever is cheapest at Halfords this weekend probably.

Didnt plan to do this this evening, however peer pressure seemed to result in it happening anyway lool

Need to strengthen some bits and make some minor changes, but it works.
Going to get some small acrow props to take the weight off it when its level, should also allow me to get into it, if needs be.
It's a little wobbly just on the rotisserie itself

Really pleased with it though, just enough clearence

Will try to update this more often, hopefully see some quicker progress now over winter. I expect to spend more time at the unit as I wo t be doing things on evenings anymore now its getting dark and cold.

Next I guess is to carry on stripping the glue from inside, some bits of underlay left, and get all the underseal stuff off the underside to see the full extent of the rust.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:03 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Really interesting (and full-on) project, I hope you see it through.

Whilst there is no dedicated section of the forum for build threads, there are a lot of build threads on here - so you are not alone. Here is my last one, it's a (was a) 924 with RV8 engine:-
http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?t=21557

I still have the car, had one good season with it then more gremlins surfaced - this time with the engine. I laid it up last year, but back on it this winter and hoping to get a good season out of it next year. If I ever get to the point of driving more than working on it I'll be a happy bunny :bounce:

*Just a thought re your rotisserie, might be worth making some bolt-up supports to tie the 2 trolleys together so they're not trying to move around independently (apart from the car between them).

Following with interest! GL!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:02 pm 

Prophead wrote:
Really interesting (and full-on) project, I hope you see it through.

Whilst there is no dedicated section of the forum for build threads, there are a lot of build threads on here - so you are not alone. Here is my last one, it's a (was a) 924 with RV8 engine:-
http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?t=21557

I still have the car, had one good season with it then more gremlins surfaced - this time with the engine. I laid it up last year, but back on it this winter and hoping to get a good season out of it next year. If I ever get to the point of driving more than working on it I'll be a happy bunny :bounce:

*Just a thought re your rotisserie, might be worth making some bolt-up supports to tie the 2 trolleys together so they're not trying to move around independently (apart from the car between them).

Following with interest! GL!

Funny you should comment, I was looking through your thread just after I'd updated this haha!
Cool build man, also following.

That was the next thing on the list...