Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: No Start/No Tacho Bounce/Speed-Ref Sensors?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:21 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Morning All

Was greeted with a no start, no tacho bounce this morning in sub zero temps. Nice. Had noticed last week a no start incident, isolated, failed to notice tacho as it fired up next try. Anyway it wasn't having it this morning. So opened the bonnet to wiggle the speed/ref sensor bracket. Noticed bracket was loose, floating about, anyway starts first time after a wiggle. Noticed I needed a splash of oil, so switched off, topped up oil, secured and tightened 10mm bolt holding bracket, started first time, no dramas.

So firstly, does a turbo have a speed and a reference sensor, sure I read it just has one? The bracket seemed to have one plug going into it from O/S and then a couple leaving it from the N/S. Not really got a clue what they all are. Secondly, can this cause an engine cut-out whilst driving or will it just prevent a start when playing up? Thirdly, what advice? Obviously the bracket is no longer floating about so that will help. Is it worth unplugging it and spraying in some contact cleaner or is it likely to fall apart as I've read previously? The car had a new speed or ref sensor (not sure) about 10 years ago just before I bought it I noticed from the history.

Anyway, thanks all in advance!

Edit to add, I do have 2 sensors, and they are properly clipped together with metal clips in place, and the wiring and plugs all look in VG condition.

Also posted on PCGB.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

Post subject: Re: No Start/No Tacho Bounce/Speed-Ref Sensors?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
That's a bugger.

I have read on other forums / FB of issues with the wiring failing an inch or so from the plug, which might explain why it started after a wiggle. It could just be that with the bolt coming loose on the bracket the sensor moved enough so as not to produce a signal. And yes, dodgy ref sensor = no start (ask Roy :lol: ), might be worth having one in the draw next to the spare DME relay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:14 pm 

Yes Sean I'm hoping securing the bracket does the trick. Was fine to work and back so fingers crossed. The wiring does bend an inch or so before the plug so that could cause an issue after 30 years. Similar to the AFM connector on the loom on a turbo that has a similar bend. Anyway see how we go!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:11 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5513
aye I had one of the sensors go on my car and it has only done 95000 miles, way less than your car.
it turned out to be only one faulty sensor, I had both in stock so replaced both.
i know 2 other 944 that had those sensors go, so my be a good idea just to get 2 new ones in there.
good luck.

89 944 turbo - modifying - running 323 bhp - 313 torque
84 944 - dead, rip
86 924S - my first love ,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am 

Thanks Roy. At least one has been changed about 10 years ago. Saw that in the history file. Will double check to see if both were replaced. It's been fine since I tightened the bracket but tbh I expect it will re-occur at some point.

Stuart