Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advise on my new purchase
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:45 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi all

After wanting a white 944 for a long time I've made the plunge and bought a 1988 2.7 lux manual (see pics below). It was a rushed purchase so I'm looking for some newbie advice to re ashore myself I've bought a decent motor.

So first steps I've undertaken is check the chassis number (both on the VIN & Identification plate) matches the V5 logbook and the data sticker in the boot of the car plus maintenance book sticker. Which im please to say it does.

Secondly check the engine number from the block matches the logbook engine code. How do i check this is the original engine??

Thirdly keys. Should the master key (the one with the inbuilt light) open both doors, boot, petrol cap & start the car?

Any help would be appreciated as i want to restore the car back to its former glory.

Mark

Attachments:
Inside.gif
Inside.gif [ 226.1 KiB | Viewed 3485 times ]
Back.gif
Back.gif [ 243.51 KiB | Viewed 3485 times ]
Front.gif
Front.gif [ 234.41 KiB | Viewed 3485 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Advise on my new purchase
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm 

Looks nice! All keys should open all locks, even glove box. If the engine number matches log book I'd imagine no further research needed but any Porsche centre could confirm it's original for you.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 am 

Ordinarily I wouldn't worry too much about a matching engine number. NA 944's aren't big value collectors cars after all. Though I would want to make sure it's a 2.7 engine. The 2.7 is a bit of a mystery, more capacity, modified stronger block, big inlet valves, modified head. It doesn't make much more power, and seems a bit pointless for a 1 year production run. Maybe Porsche were trialling it for a new turbo engine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:37 pm 

Nice to see another 2.7 being looked after (I'm biased :). As previously said if numbers match all good!

I'm sure you're already aware or have already done this but check both sills for rust. This can be a real killer for some cars but not as bad as it used to be as (and I'll take advice on this) Porsche seem to be making replacement sills again.

From memory when I test drove a 2.5, the 2.7 has a little more torque thats accessible from a lower rev range.

Enjoy the car, they're superb!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:21 pm 

Great car the 2.7, makes quite a difference in my opinion to drivability.

I read a post on here that mentioned a great tip, remove the black vent blanks on the door slams and drop a phone down there on some string with the video running then you can view the sills from the inside.

I did mine and it put my mind at rest.