Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Central Locking (using key) problem
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:11 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Gents,
[Apologies for this being a duplication of my current post on the PCGB forum but I want to cast my net wide so I can get help and get my car door back together.]

I'm baffled by a central locking problem I've encountered today on my 1989 S2.

I've just fitted a new driver's door handle with a new lock cylinder (with internal tumblers reconfigured to match the other locks) and I refitted the old central locking micro-switch which was attached to the old handle.
The previous lock on the old handle has never worked in the 5 years of my ownership as it was seized solid presumably through lack of use so I've never had the central locking working via the driver's door. The central locking works OK via the passenger door and via the blipper/immobiliser pad.

I've now got the driver's door handle opening nicely but the central locking via the door lock is not working properly.

I'm experiencing this:
- Driver's door lock turned to right opens both doors OK - happy days!
- However, driver's door lock turned to left will lock only the driver's door but not the passenger door (main issue)
- (If I manually pull the door lock LED knob when the lock and door is closed this does open both doors)

- The passenger side lock (as always) operates like this - turn to right closes both doors; turn to left opens both doors
- However, note the different direction I have to turn the passenger lock to get an open or close when compared to driver's door - why is this? (secondary issue)

Any ideas what's going on?
- All I can think is that the micro-switch is playing up. The contact area on the switch to the handle looked clean and undamaged when I refitted it and the connection to the handle seems solid (although I couldn't really understand how the micro-switch connection area worked when I was putting it all back together).
- Also, whereas the feel of the central locking triggering on the passengers side lock seems very light and smooth the driver's side operation seems very meaty and there seems to be a fair lot of resistance when the central locking triggers to open on the driver's side but this may have something to do with a new handle. The key operation on the new door handle is lovely and light though as you'd expect. I've thoroughly greased the driver's door locking mechanism with lithium grease and watching the whole mechanism work through the door it appears that everything is moving freely.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I've got the door in bits (door-card; window guide rail; window motor and door glass are all out) and I really need to get this all back together pronto.

Ta,
Mark

Porsche 944 S2 1989 Alpine White (204,600 miles and ready for another 204,600)
BMW e36 328i Sport Coupe 1998 Titan Silver

Post subject: Re: Central Locking (using key) problem
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:10 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Can't really help much with this other than to explain that the mirco switch is a mechanical switch, not an electrical connection. The is a tab on the micro switch that will get moved by whatever mechanical component it is next to. When the tab is up, the circuit is broken i.e. off or no current flow; when the tab is depressed the circuit is made i.e. on or current connected.

Hope that helps you figure out the function of the particular micro switch.