Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead S2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Not used the S2 for a few months but needed to go to the local tip to dump some garden rubbish. battery has been on constant dribble charge so she fired up first time. Funny noise from front but running ok. No time to investigate so load up and off I go. Noise, a funny whoosing, dissappers. Car feels great really zippy, fill tank, drop rubbish. Odometer on 993 has packed up so take that to courier station to be sent to Netherlands for repair. I got back in car and after an initial non-start all electrics die. I mean everything. Battery reads 12.75 volts but nothing at charging post under bonnet. Call to my mechanic, battery swopped, zilch but apply 12 volts to charging post and alarm kicks in, all active. Diagnosis is a break in the positive lead from battery (in boot) to starter terminal.
I have replaced the starter motor perhaps the lead has dropped off the terminal, if so what a dope but perhaps the cable was damaged when the sills were done. Any other thoughts? She's stuck in a pay car park with a broken down notice to be collected in morning and will most likely have self healed like they do sometimes.

Post subject: Re: Dead S2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6726
If its been sat for a while, take the fuses out and clean the ends then reinstall. they have a tendency to get a small film of corrosion on them and cause all sorts of seemingly crazy issues. I bought a 2.5 944 a few years ago with a known rad fan and lights fault. The previous owner had gone to quite some effort to install bypass relays and miles of new wiring.

I spent 10 minutes one day cleaning all the fuses and terminals, reconnected the original wiring and bingo, everything worked. I then ripped out the relays and extra wiring and the cars been faultless for 2 years.

Fingers crossed for an easy fix

'72 Fasty in progress as ever HERE
'85 944 works more than it doesnt
'05 Octavia Estate Diesel POWER!
'82 Mini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:23 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
By the DME there is a distribution block, originally it was crimped soft metal (prob lead based) originally I drilled into the block and plugged it up with solder, but although this works, it is not optimal because the copper strands oxidise over time, what I did was install a car audio amp dist. block
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3Swb4 ... 79-h284-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DAJux ... 4-h1360-no

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:39 pm 

j.c wrote:
By the DME there is a distribution block, originally it was crimped soft metal (prob lead based) originally I drilled into the block and plugged it up with solder, but although this works, it is not optimal because the copper strands oxidise over time, what I did was install a car audio amp dist. block
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3Swb4 ... 79-h284-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DAJux ... 4-h1360-no

Great tip. The battery was goosed and cable shows a severe voltage drop. New batt and terminals cleaned, she runs. I was getting 12.5v at batt and 2.5v at remote terminal (the one to get in the boot when batt dies) I'll certainly check out that terminal block. Thanks very much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 pm 

New batt and it died again. Stripped the immobiliser/alarm (Clifford) and it fires up first time , every time without the slow spin it had before. I suspect a faulty relay in the clifford box to the starter motor circuit. A pig to remove but hardly brain surgery. I am replacing it with a sinple immobiliser, no one takes any notice of alarms anyway. Also fitting a remote keyless entry from Tore Bergvil as I like the facility.