Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stone Guard/s paint/stickers location
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Can someone take close up pictures of the Stone Guard/s paint/stickers location/s on their S2/Turbo & kindly post here or to my E-mail or pm? Would really appreciate any assistance with this, especially if still original.

I'm at the stage where bodyshop is about to spray stone before car colour on the sills/lower quarters & would like to get them as close as possible to original. Tried the large stone guard film in place & can't quite a grasp to the placement as they don't seem to be an exact cut to the contours of the rear flares except close to the wheel arch.

I've seen quite a few pictures on line too that show this too. Also have a 997 Targa presently in my shop still on original stone guard film & this also does not have perfect lines to stone guard paint & door shut lines.

Positioning is critical so would like to get them right. Looks like the closest is to align the stone guard film to the wheel arch :?

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Stone Guard/s paint/stickers location
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm 

Had a chat with Prestige Parts where I bought the stone guard stickers from, but he doesn't presently have pictures :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am 

I've done and seen this done many times. They kind of line up pretty much in the correct places as long as they are OEM or exact OEM size. The 4 x longer ones can only really go on the correct place and will look obvious if the guard oversteps the shape of the wings. The larger guards for the bottom of the rear quarter follow the wheel arch and sit square above the line of the stone chip. Sorry not got any pictures that show this, my guards are clear and would need an extreme close up to show their location.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm 

scam75 wrote:
I've done and seen this done many times. They kind of line up pretty much in the correct places as long as they are OEM or exact OEM size. The 4 x longer ones can only really go on the correct place and will look obvious if the guard oversteps the shape of the wings. The larger guards for the bottom of the rear quarter follow the wheel arch and sit square above the line of the stone chip. Sorry not got any pictures that show this, my guards are clear and would need an extreme close up to show their location.

Stuart

Many thanks for your response.

The larger guards are the issue, as although prestige parts states that he has bought all originals to copy from, mine do not fit square above the stone chip line. They do seem to follow the wheel arch but are far off from the door shut line in a strange cut away. This maybe as they should but would like some pictures to confirm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:02 pm 

Fair enough. You may need to just fit as best as you can. Do you know if your stone chip is factory or has it been re-done? This could also affect things. Either way, get them as close as possible, fit properly so nothing gets under them, alleviate bubbles, admire, walk away, then never ever look at them again!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:11 pm 

scam75 wrote:
Fair enough. You may need to just fit as best as you can. Do you know if your stone chip is factory or has it been re-done? This could also affect things. Either way, get them as close as possible, fit properly so nothing gets under them, alleviate bubbles, admire, walk away, then never ever look at them again!

Stuart

Absolutely true :D

When fitting, just replaced one this morning on a 997 Targa, you see everything under a magnifying glass, amplifying every little discrepancy. Then, over time being transparent, you don't look at them anymore.

My S2 is in for a full respray & previously had parts sprayed, so didn't have most of the stone guards including the larger ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 am 

karozza wrote:
Can someone take close up pictures of the Stone Guard/s paint/stickers location/s on their S2/Turbo & kindly post here or to my E-mail or pm? Would really appreciate any assistance with this, especially if still original.

I had my n/a 2.7 resprayed a few years ago and bought OEM stone chip guards, if you still need pics and it would help I can take some of mine and post up?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 pm 

Toby944 wrote:
karozza wrote:

I had my n/a 2.7 resprayed a few years ago and bought OEM stone chip guards, if you still need pics and it would help I can take some of mine and post up?

Yes, that would help, really appreciate it :cheers:

The large stone guards are the ones that I'm concerned about.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 am 

Ok, I'll post a few up. It won't be until the weekend though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am 

Toby944 wrote:
Ok, I'll post a few up. It won't be until the weekend though.

:thumbright:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 am 

Here you go, its a bit tough to see on these reduce size images. If you still need more detail let me know and I'll send you the high res pics or I can trace the outline of the chip guards and repost.

Hope the helps.

Nearside front

Nearside rear

Offside front

Offside rear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:33 pm 

Thanks Toby944, really appreciated :thumbright: