Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Puzzle for Friday, or a puzzle for life?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello all

So this grumbly noise issue I've had for years, simply refuses to go away. Quite often when the engine is cold, I'll get a bearing/grumble/scratchy/clicky noise from the alternator drive belt area. It goes away when the engine heats up. It also goes away instantly if I spray some silicone lubricant or the like on to the moving drive belt. So you would think the alternator or ac compressor bearing. Nope. Both changed at least twice and the noise persists. I've also changed the belt numerous times and also replaced the crank pulley, the old one was disintegrating. So every moving part in that drive belt set up has been replaced. The old crank pulley had started to strip and was depositing slithers of metal inside the belt grooves fyi. So what the fook is making this noise? Belts and rollers have also been changed and had no effect on this mystery happening. Could there be slithers of metal hiding somewhere? I genuinely don't think so. Why does the noise go away as soon as I spray lubricant in the drive belt area? I am totally perplexed. Fitted yet another re-con alternator the other day and there was no noise for a couple of days. Then it started back up again this morning. I am going demented, please someone come along with the solution!

Cheers

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.