Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: S2 Airbox mods ??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7762
I have seen a number of posts where people refer to "the usual airbox mods" for the S2 airbox (as well as installing a K&N filter, changing the ecu chip, etc).

Just wondered what these airbox mods are, or if someone has some pics of what has been to done?

Is this drilling some holes somewhere in the airbox, or removing soemthing from it ? Is this soemthing that's recommended you do to get the benefits from a replacement K&N panel filter, or to generally help the engine breath better?

To be fair, I have also seen a couple of references to leaving the standard S2 airbox alone, so it's a little confusing as to what is recommended if you want to try and improve the intake side (as well as getting a replacement filter that lasts longer /only needs cleaning rather than replacing).

What's the consensus on if this "mod" to the airbox is worthwhile on an S2?

thanks

Post subject: Re: S2 Airbox mods ??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Mark I've got an S2 and after a while deliberating I took the plunge and when I changed the air filter the next time around i modded the airbox I drilled 3 x 2"holes to the front and put in new standard filter .it's sounds a little throatier but nothing boy racer .I've also fitted a performance chip and have a stainless exhaust I'm about to do the circular throttle cam mod soon . which basically makes the throttle response quicker .the original is curved so slower response until you hit the round part of the throttle cam if that makes sense .NB the air filter is a bit of a pig to get at i .I used a flexi bit to access the 2 bolts in the front panel corners and be careful getting front panel off as it can scrape the top of the bumper if not careful.good luck
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Always considered that you will end up with a soggy and restrictive filter element.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:50 pm 

" I'm about to do the circular throttle cam mod soon . which basically makes the throttle response quicker .the original is curved so slower response until you hit the round part of the throttle cam if that makes sense "
my S2 cab doesn't have the throttle cam, it has a different (vertical) mechanism,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:41 pm 

Please tell me if I am missing the point, the plan is to modify a very expensive bit of plastic for more noise and possibly 1-2 un-noticed horse power

I just don’t see the point, if you want that much more power buy a turbo car, I personally just don’t get the lust for more and more power,

It’s like a disease, shedding weight is far better

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:57 pm 

Just back to this (been away) so thanks for the responses guys>

I wasn't trying to start a tricky debate about increasing NA power/performance verses turbos, nor trying to argue for one thing, or another with people who know more (and have done more) to their cars than I'll probably ever get around to.

Waylander wrote:
Please tell me if I am missing the point, the plan is to modify a very expensive bit of plastic for more noise and possibly 1-2 un-noticed horse powerI just don’t see the point, if you want that much more power buy a turbo car, I personally just don’t get the lust for more and more power, It’s like a disease, shedding weight is far better

To be clear, not really seeking power increase for the sake of it, I have to replace the air filter in the winter this year in any event and was going to fit a K&N replacement because (if advertising to be believed), if you clean them regularly, they last for a long time (so pay for themselves) as well as allowing the engine to breath a little better, so in a sense "why wouldn't you"?

The air box modifications was something I had seen mentioned in several posts (not something I am planning to do), but I hadn't seen any detail as to what people had done, so was interested to find out what it involved and if there were any benefits/ or issues to it being done, when I have the air box exposed for replacing the filter.

I will have a similar sort of query when the exhaust comes up for replacement (hopefully a year or two away).

My car was not fitted with a cat when it left the factory (1989) so I won't be getting a cat delete pipe or free flowing cat pipe, not needed.
But........, I also came across an "S2 development thread" from a couple of years ago where Jon Mitchell had experimented with a "resonator" style pipe where the cat pipe would be on a standard S2, with measurable improvement in torque , etc. compared to standard non cat pipework, etc.

So again, if something similar is available at a reasonable cost when I come to replace the exhaust, and it makes the car more usable/drivable in day to day situation (not on a track) then again the question for myself is probably:- "why wouldn't you"?. (Not sure what back box to use but, too much noise/drone would not be what I would want.)

Fully understand the weight reduction point of view (and the "get a turbo if you really want to have fun /test your adrenalin limits"), but I like driving my S2 pretty much the way it is , so wouldn't want to bin seats, tear out noise reduction /carpets , etc. and didn't want a turbo.

It's more of usable modern classic / comfortable GT car to me, which I enjoy driving (I also love the retro style/looks of the thing) so making it noisier, or less comfortable, isn't a route I would want to follow just for a bit more performance, but fully understand why such modifications make sense for a lot of owners.

However, if I'm having to replace bits and there is something available that makes sense in terms of price vs. making the car a little better to drive in the style I use it, then I would still ask myself the question "why wouldn't you"?

The advice from forum members hopefully helps me to get a real world, useful perspective and help separate fact, from myth, from marketing hype and is much appreciated

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
I tend to agree with Waylander. Weight reduction, brake and suspensiom improvements give a lot more personal satisfaction without the need to stress the most vital and expensive part of the car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5385
I have one on eBay. I use it with cat bypass and promax chip. Open to offers. It has brand new K&N panel filter with it. Revs cleanly up to increased red line and feels better in low and mid-range.
Both cars indicate 155 on the clock at redline

TR7
TVR 300m[sold
MGB rusted away
Z1000
GSX 1100r/i]
star gemini 250 (kart)
sisley cobra 100 (kart)
http://stuarthusband.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 am 

I drilled mine out last year. Ive had a K&N in since 2013 and I noticed that I only got dirt build up near the air opening, quite alot of it, so thats the place it draws the most. So I got out my drill and whacked some large holes in there.

Performance increase ? Nothing that Ive noticed, car is as strong as it was before. It does sound better though and as we know better sound = faster car.... ;-)

Ive oiled the K&N with the proper stuff so it should be water resistant and will hopefully now have better dirt allocation all across the filter...rather than a hot spot.

Ive done 2 track days and a ring trip with no problems since doing this and about 6000 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:21 pm 

Thanks to Stuart and thewildblue for your input.

I may get the drill out (a little) when I replace the filter towards the end of the year.

My ain concern would be about water getting into the filter element in a heavy downpoor (with air-flow as you drive along pushing moisture into the filter box), but that doesn't seem to have been an issue for you.

cheers
Mark