Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Intermittent whine at about 1800rpm after hitting a pothole
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:35 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7090
Hi,

About two weeks ago I hit a pothole on the drivers side of the car on the motorway doing about 80mph. It was quite a clatter but all seemed ok. Since then i've started getting a intermittent drone / whine at about 1800rpm, no matter what gear or speed. I thought it only happened when the clutch was engaged but it seems to be doing it either way, but it is louder with the clutch engaged. I thought it was coming from behind my right ear, and it does still seem to be, but that sounds daft it it's still there with the clutch disengaged.

The maddening thing is I cannot replicate it with any regularity so cannot really bring the car to anybody about it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Everything else about the car seems ok. Could it be something now resonating at about that engine speed??

Thanks, Andrew.

Post subject: Re: Intermittent whine at about 1800rpm after hitting a poth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:01 am 

TIPEC membership: 7406
The infamous inexpiable 944 drone from the rear end strikes again lol

Given you hit a pothole I would start by checking the wheel bearings and work back up the driven train chain; 1/2 shaft joints next; then gearbox. Thinking a bit more about it get you wheel checked as well, if it was slightly buckled it might be that it resonates at 1800rpm although this would not be a fixed wheel speed.

However, it could be a coincidence as many 944 have a whine or drone that comes from either / and / or the torque-tube and transaxle. Ironically on my car the drone / whine disappeared after a good thrashing around a track. ~It was all a lot smoother and quieter after that.

Post subject: Re: Intermittent whine at about 1800rpm after hitting a poth
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:17 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7090
It's that it's so intermittent that's tedious. I cannot seem to replicate it no matter what I do. I'm going to swap the gearbox oil next week for one Millers oils have recommended so i'll see if that makes any difference. I agree a bearing does seem a likely culprit, but how that could be effected by the clutch is just strange.