Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: gearbox speedo sensor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
hi all having no speedometer working for a couple of months decided to have a look yesterday.
i have took the sensor off the gearbox and checked to see drive is working which it is when turning wheel i then had a look with an very old oscilloscope to see if it chucked out any sort of signal which i couldn't find (no power put to it ) then left and had a look on internet
i found this
http://www.classicinstruments.com/tech-info/testing-speedometer-signals.aspx
so went under car and checked plug for voltage live which is on middle pin and earth on bottom if you have the one indentation to the left,so came in and put some wires to connectors and spun with hand and drill but got no voltage out of it using guide from internet
dident try with scope, but was wondering
if anyone has took one of these apart
if anyone knows if that check works
if i was to put another wire from 12 middle pos with a resister to bring the voltage down and tap the remaining pin would it work the speedometer using plug from under car hope this all makes sense
thanks for any replies

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 7.56 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]
 Post subject: Re: gearbox speedo sensor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 pm 

these look like they might fit, for 13 quid its worth a test.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gearbox-Spee ... 0005.m1851

the genuine ones 944 606 210 00 for an S2 £78

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:45 pm 

thanks for the reply waylander
unfortunately due to bad weather and redundancy and umming and arring ect i got a new one from Porsche as i couldn't justify loosing £14 on a gamble it might work so opted for new and fitted it.
i had already checked with a spare set of clocks i had which i bought few years back when rev counter dident work prior buying sensor
anyway long and short dident work so decide to take speedo out and put in other cluster as looked better and tried again no joy so then put speedo not from my car in and tried that no joy
but when looking at original speedo notice hair line crack in cog touched it and it fell apart ,im just going to get other clock back out and look at that one but wondering weather i damaged it changing it .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:49 pm 

so i fitted my new cog still not working :(
so went underneath and checked continuity and voltage ect using exhaust as earth no reading on 1 wire assume signal, then from plug to middle connections on back of speedo could only find 2 out of three ?? traced loom to inside car at back and cut in to it to get to green and white tracer wire (assume signal) cut into it and rechecked continuity back to plug under car and reconnected to sender unit to check with meter for volts or ohms when turning wheel nothing .
loom appears to then join main loom through sill and out by bonnet release and back underneath glove box back of fuses but i am struggling to find it due to hip replacement and not being slim enough.
I am using wiring loom diagram type 944.944turbo model85/2 page 3 but i am a bit of a loss as to where the 0.5 gr/ws which im assuming stands for green white tracer or signal goes to if i follow the diamond with 119 or I19 in there are more than one on the cluster and cant see same color wire on any of the three connectors on cluster or am i barking up the wrong tree
any help or directions greatly received . or the pin number from cluster so i can trace back that side
i need to be driving this but dont like the idea of false mileage while using my phone app as a speedo
loosing marbles as 3times lost internet
hope makes sense