Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help please with identifying this
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:59 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7762
Fiddling about at back of the glove box in my S2, when out dropped half of the white clip and the small metal clip.

ImageWP_20180127_004 by The white clip is broken and appears to be to hold the threaded/knurled rod to the metal mechanism highlighted.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JTztxg]Image
Copy with highlights WP_20180127_001_LI by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149782326@N06/]

I have no real idea what these bits are for or what they do but would guess at something to do with the heater ?.

Can anybody advise what they are for and where in the parts catalogue I would find the part number to replace the white plastic clip?

All advice gratefully received.

I was fiddling about at the back of the glove box to try and find any fan that might be connected to the interior temperature sensor for the heater because there was an intermittent whirring noise (quite loud at times) coming from this area of the dash and I thought it might be some sort of fan for that sensor, but didn't get as far as finding the fan , ho hum.

Any advice on if there is such a fan and where it is would also be good. I appreciate all the help from this forum from people who know a lot more about these cars than I do.

Post subject: Re: Help please with identifying this
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
There is a rubber pipe running alonside the fag lighter which leads to the internal temp sensor. You have the famous broken flap clip there. Check out Clarkes garage all the info is there:- http://www.clarks-garage.com/
I'm getting to know the heater system quite well but it isn't the beginning of a long romance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm 

Thanks, I found find the part numbers following your advice /link so I'll try OPC on Monday.

My heater seemed to be working ok before I put the car away away for the winter, so perhaps I broke this clip fiddling with the glove box, who knows.

What was really bugging me was the whirring noise from the sensor area, so I thought I'd see if I could find the fan, but came across this broken clip first. It's quite often one step forward followed by one step back :roll:

thanks for the steer in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:06 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Mark, don't despair! In fact, congratulations, that broken clip you have is the probably the most common 944 ailment so it was going to happen sometime. Chances are the clip has been broken for a long time.
With the clip broken your heater will 'fail' to full heat at all times so no matter where you turn the temp knob on the heater control panel you will only get max. hot air from the system - we all assume this is to ensure that if the heater fails in the middle of a German winter you don't freeze to death!

The plastic clip is (probably still) only a £1 or so from an OPC.
Keep the metal clip as you'll need to reuse it. It's a simple DIY refit as per Clarks.

As Endoman says you need to follow the rubber tube (about 12 inches long) that leads from behind, and next to, the cig lighter to the small interior temperature sensor unit which contains an internal fan. From your photo I can see the rubber tube - it has the 944 part of the part number visible in your photo - so follow this tube until you get to the other end and it should be firmly connected to the interior temp sensor unit which looks like this>
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-944-1986-1991-Glove-Box-Air-Fan-Temperature-Sensor-Bosch-0130002809/331651237982?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche%7CModel%3A944&epid=1709548070&hash=item4d37f4485e:g:9PkAAOSwQTVV8Y0w

From the pics in the above eBay link you'll see the fan is sort of an internal unit with plastic fins - it's just above the silver Bosch sticker.

Like you, my 1989 S2 had a noisy interior temp fan and the broken clip. To remove/improve the noise I squirted a load of WD-40 (using one of the cans with the straw attachment) into the general area of the fan and its spindle. The unit is a pig to get to or remove so I just squirted away while leaving it in situ. I also discovered I had no rubber tube (not refitted after a dash change years before by previous owner), so this made the noise worse as the fan was working more frequently and the tube helps mask the fans noise. So, make sure your rubber tube is firmly connected at both ends.

After connecting the rubber tube correctly, fitting a new heater clip and after the liberal spray of WD-40, my interior temp fan motor is much quieter although its noise is still clearly audible for about 30-60 seconds on first start up as the temp sensor does its thing, but it's only a faint buzzing which goes away once the fan stops. I notice that in winter the fan works (and therefore buzzes faintly) for slightly longer than in summer. I also never have the temp knob much above the 21oC mark in winter so this might help as I'm not asking the heating system to do much.

My unit does not come on and off during a journey - if it does, I don't hear it above the general road and engine noise.

In short - first fix your clip and ensure the rubber tube is secure at both ends then spray some WD-40 in the fan area and see if that quietens things down. However, even then, expect some slight noticeable noise on start up for a minute or so. Don't refit your glove box inner tray until you've road tested and be careful with the glove box lid arms on refitting as the plastic will be brittle in the cold weather.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Porsche 944 S2 1989 Alpine White (204,600 miles and ready for another 204,600)
BMW e36 328i Sport Coupe 1998 Titan Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am 

Mark, many thanks

That does indeed help, always useful when somebody has done it before and knows where/what things are.

My car had been standing for about 10yrs before I got it and has circa 151k miles on the clock, so I had just been using it lightly at weekends last year and fixing a few things as I go along, slowly gaining more confidence in it's mechanical reliability.

It's great fun to drive , I love the "old school" nature/feel of it and the big torquey motor.

Thanks for your help, didn't mean to seem as if I was dispairing, I know it's an old car and will have quirks/issue, just seems that the last couple of times I have unbolted something to get at something, I've found something else that is snapped/broken, etc.

thanks for your help
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
slowdriver wrote:

Thanks for your help, didn't mean to seem as if I was dispairing, I know it's an old car and will have quirks/issue, just seems that the last couple of times I have unbolted something to get at something, I've found something else that is snapped/broken, etc.

thanks for your help
Mark

welcome to the world of owning an older car, things break all the time, and even some new parts break as they have been sitting on a shelf for 15-20 years.

but it all adds to the experience

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 am 

TIPEC membership: 6602
The internal temp sensor is nla, the complete unit that is. I didn't find it too difficult to remove if you remove the glove box first. 2 dome headed 10mm nuts and a couple of fat washers (don't look original) you can then unplug it. I used a flat bladed screwdiver to release the plug. Once off you can get at the thermister and replace it if neccesary, easily available and cheap. (thanks to Waylander for pointing me in the right direction). It is also possible to open the motor casing and give it a good clean and lube but you need to be very careful with this old plastic. Fortunately my fan is absolutely silent. If the WD40 trick doesn't work try to find a used one off ebay just in case.
The prices of Porsche parts has gone through the roof recently, my drivers window motor died and the price of a new one horrific so I took it apart, cleaned, lubed and it works if a bit noisy. Not a lot of stuff on ebay in the UK but USA (heavy postal charges) and for some reason the Baltic states have some.