Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendation for 944S2 new sills etc.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Guys

The time has come to sort the rust on my sons 944S2. It needs repairs to both sides, front and rear wheel arches, lower wing sections where they join the sills front and rear and probably also sills. The car doesn't need to be concours but it does need a proper job which I know can be expensive if done right and it will be a bit of a push to justify the cost against the value of the car (it is otherwise a nice tidy car, good mechanically and with 150k on the clock).

I am looking for someone that can do the repair work followed by a partial respray - wings, doors and sills but not roof, bonnet, bumpers or tailgate. I have already been quoted £2000-£2500 per side for repairs (not including any panels) and another £5000 to repaint.

I am also open to any advice, for example, is it worth spending £800 on brand new wings to save the labour costs of letting in multiple repair panels?

Thanks all

Ian

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 944S2 new sills etc.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Personally I'd go for the new wings, if the sills are being done then it's best to take the front wings off anyway. I had the sills done a few years ago (just outers) and they cut them and but welded instead of taking the wings off. I always feel do it right do it once, or is it visa versa?. My wings were fine and they did a good job but if the wings are rotten then it's a no brainer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:25 am 

I had my S2 sorted by Paul Baker Custom metalwork of Eastleigh in 2015. The work required was similar to your description.

Cost-wise, I spent £6000, itemised with respect to hours worked, materials and so on, with photographs of everything worked on. Paint-wise I decided of just painting what had been disturbed rather than a full respray with the extra cost involved. I, also prefer the 'used' patina that a car of the age has.

The big problem, as ever, is what's found when the cutting tools get going. It was quite an eye-opener see how far the rot had spread with the inner sills. With respect to the wings, if you can get new ones at a respectable price, I'm sure who ever you get to do the work would appreciate not having to shape the wing bottoms in new metal.

Hope this helps you make up you mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:17 pm 

grommett wrote:

I am also open to any advice,

Thanks all

Ian

Sell it and buy a better one, it will be cheaper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:28 pm 

just read your post with interest as have just finished a similar set of repairs to the n/s of my 944 S ,though it was the inner sill not outer sill,floor and around the jacking post in the front corner.
Firstly , whoever does the work must take the front wings off,the wings are easy to take off and you need access to the corner of the floor /A post/. Mine also had some rot in the frame next to the A post which you cannot see with the wing in place.
If anyone tells you different walk away.
The bottom of the wing is an easy repair, my n/s wing took 3 small patches, so you shouldn't need new wings.
Make sure whoever does it removes the ECU,you do not want to be welding around that area with the ECU still in situ.
I am staggered at the quotes you have received but I suppose that's the cost of getting a good job done at a proper body shop.
I did mine myself so cost so far is nothing ,apart from welding wire, the sheet metal came courtesy of the scrap bin at local machine shop.
I will probably get the sills and bottom of the wings prayed professionally in the summer when I have done the other side,luckily it's only the bottom of the wing on that side.
Insist on a photo record of the work at each stage otherwise you will not know what has been done when it's all back together and covered in underseal.
Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm 

Old thread, but, Grommett, if you are still looking to do this, PM me, I may be able to help.