Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:09 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilstein B6 front threaded adapter needed for 944 S2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 am 

TIPEC membership: 7770
Hi

I’m looking to fit Bilstein B6 all round on my 1989 S2 Cab......but they need a bit of fettling. There is a threaded adapter that needs to be welded on (as the S2 was designed to just remove and replace the whole front unit apparently).

Having been in touch with Bilstein, they have suggested a website called sportswagenparts.de.....but it’s all in German. And my German is terrible.

Has anyone fitted the B6’s onto their S2 and if so, do you have details of where I can get hold of the adapters please.

Last edited by Sean Smallman on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected spelling in topic title

Post subject: Re: Blistering B6 front threaded adapter needed for 944 S2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I'm fitting Billies to my cab also, but I've ordered these https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorrad-Uberwu ... 0290.m3507 they are the right thread, Hopefully the ID id right too, I'll let you know when all my stuff arrives,
Are you keeping the stock springs and torsion bars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 am 

Excellent, thanks JC.

I’ll hang fire for now and wait to see how you get on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 am 

Sorry JC, I didn’t see the bit about the springs & torsion bar.
Yes, keeping the stock. I’m replacing the bushes all round for polys. Just looking for a better, former ride, nothing too severe as it will be for road use only - maybe the odd track day ;0)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 am 

I'm going for H&R lowered springs, Progressive rate around the 200lb/in mark, they lower by around 30-35mm so I'm buying these https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/ so a total lowering of 10-15mm at the front, also converting rear Billies with a coilover kit with a helper spring to increase the rear to match the fronts, rears will need to be re-indexed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
I went for the Koni kit from Paragon, the coil over one with 250lb front springs and 968 torsion bars. The front wishbones were changed to the Hartech competition ones. It's lowered about 25mm. Don't like poly bushes so std rubber replacements and a 968 front caster block. With M030 arbs it corners and handles very well if a bit hard on the crappy road surfaces round here. reindexing the rear is not fun. I had the torsion bar ends drilled and tapped so i can pull them out enough to disengage and rotate without the need to cut a hole in the wing. I found a rubber cap to fit over the end to keep the muck out instead of sticking the pennies back in. The torsion bars are under contant tension due to the stop washerand have not moved.

Attachments:
After.jpg
After.jpg [ 97.69 KiB | Viewed 9732 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7008
I ordered the collars from sportswagenparts.de. Like you, I don't speak German, so I used google translate to do the translation for me. In addition, they replied in both German and English. If you want, I can send you the text I used in the email I sent them - in German.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7496
They prefer you to ask in english as their english is pretty good and google translate is awful. Just email them in english and they'll sort you out.

ARO Peterborough Region

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 am 

I did this job on my front struts and welded a VW Golf threaded strut top on to allow me to fit the Spax adjustable shocker inserts I wanted to fit, then had them powder coated in yellow.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am 

infrasilver wrote:
I did this job on my front struts and welded a VW Golf threaded strut top on to allow me to fit the Spax adjustable shocker inserts I wanted to fit, then had them powder coated in yellow.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

That's what I want to do but can't get my hands on some old struts (Australia)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6177
j.c wrote:
I'm fitting Billies to my cab also, but I've ordered these https://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorrad-Uberwu ... 0290.m3507 they are the right thread, Hopefully the ID id right too, I'll let you know when all my stuff arrives,

Mmm I used some scrap threaded strut tops, but those might just do the job. Please do let us all know :)

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm 

j.c wrote:
I'm going for H&R lowered springs, Progressive rate around the 200lb/in mark, they lower by around 30-35mm so I'm buying these https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/ so a total lowering of 10-15mm at the front, also converting rear Billies with a coilover kit with a helper spring to increase the rear to match the fronts, rears will need to be re-indexed

Mmm I'm not sure you'll like the effects of wedging those aluminium rings inbetween the coil springs to effectively stop them moving and hence not reduce the ride height as much, I think this will also increase the spring rate and harshness which on a a Cab may cause some noise and vibration issues.

If your getting the tops welded on your struts for Bilstein inserts, you cold also consider having the spring pans cut off
and have some steel threaded collars welded on so that you can not only set the ride height exactly as you like and change it again and again but also choose your spring rates so you get the best ride and handling compromise ?

Racing Coil springs in 2.5" ID will clear the strut body and you can get these from 80 - 1000 Lbs spring rates usually in 10 or
25lb increments.

Like these:

R

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 pm 

924srr27l wrote:
j.c wrote:

Mmm I'm not sure you'll like the effects of wedging those aluminium rings inbetween the coil springs to effectively stop them moving and hence not reduce the ride height as much, I think this will also increase the spring rate and harshness which on a a Cab may cause some noise and vibration issues.

If your getting the tops welded on your struts for Bilstein inserts, you cold also consider having the spring pans cut off
and have some steel threaded collars welded on so that you can not only set the ride height exactly as you like and change it again and again but also choose your spring rates so you get the best ride and handling compromise ?

Racing Coil springs in 2.5" ID will clear the strut body and you can get these from 80 - 1000 Lbs spring rates usually in 10 or
25lb increments.

R

That's a real nice set up you got there,
Already ordered the springs
Those ally spacers sit at the top or bottom of the spring in effect increasing the spring length,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:16 am 

j.c wrote:
924srr27l wrote:
j.c wrote:

R

That's a real nice set up you got there,
Already ordered the springs
Those ally spacers sit at the top or bottom of the spring in effect increasing the spring length,

Ok, I thought they may of fitted inside a coil, so they are effectively as you say just raising the spring height.
What size Torsion bars are on the rear ? and what rear coil spring rates are you thinking?

R

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 pm 

Ok, I thought they may of fitted inside a coil, so they are effectively as you say just raising the spring height.
What size Torsion bars are on the rear ? and what rear coil spring rates are you thinking?

I've got stock 24mm rear torsion bars (137lb) and I'm fitting 150lb springs to the rear shocks (effective rate of 63lb) so 200lb rear all up,
I use the car on Sydneys shit roads and being a cab I'm going for a slightly warmed up stock setting