Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 944S running issues
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I didn't use new bolts and I'm unsure why you would need to as the torque figure of 20Nm is not much at all, 20Nm is almost like just nipping them up so there will be no distortion of the threads if that is the reason?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:43 am 

I seem to think they were coated threads for some reason, I might have lost the plot in my old age

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 am 

That makes more sense, I did some research and found that they were microencapsulated when installed but it is possible to use thread lock on an old bolt. I will pull them out again today and do that. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 am 

Seem to think it has something to do with suppressing harmonic noise to the knock detection sensors

I could be completely wrong, it would not be the first time and won’t be the last

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 am 

Hi, regards that extra sensor, The 944S has that as standard, it doesn't actually plug into anything on the engine, I believe it is used for diagnostic purposes, mine has the wire plug in the end too. Just ignore it... :wink:

Hope it all gets back on the road running fine soon!

Black 1987 944S - Gone but not forgotten
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924
Minerva blue 1979 924

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:43 am 

Rhett wrote:
Hi, regards that extra sensor, The 944S has that as standard, it doesn't actually plug into anything on the engine, I believe it is used for diagnostic purposes, mine has the wire plug in the end too. Just ignore it... :wink:

Hope it all gets back on the road running fine soon!

Thanks for that confirmation, hope to have it running later today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:14 pm 

Thanks for all the help with my running issue, I eventually took the car out for a greasy, spirited drive today to test what I had done and it seems to have worked.

When I put it all back together last week I did have a bit of hunting on tickover, it did it once revved and returning to tickover but never stalled and always settled back to 1000rpm. I took the lid off the AFM just to check and decided to clean all the connections and adjust the two arms that swipe as there were definite marks in the surface, this did seem to stop this new issue so out and about today was great fun in the damp and letting me get right around the rev range had me wheel spinning changing to second and third.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:39 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8169
tr7v8 wrote:
From the symptoms you describe I'd suggest it was fuel related. So fuel pump, which can be checked for flow easily, pressure is more difficult. Also FPR but these tend to work or not work, not go intermittent. Also check fuel pump fuse is good & clean.

Read this thread as I have an identical problem on mine. Stutters somewhere between 3500rpm and 4500rpm. If I back off the throttle for a moment and then back on, it sometimes goes away.
My first thought was fuel starvation and not knowing when the filter was changed, I changed it. I also changed the ignition leads and rotor arm.

Will check fuse.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89
Old gentleman - Merc C220 '95, Elegance, almost mint
Work - Fraud Transit van, skip, bus...
Dream time daily - 3.6 997

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:33 am 

I have somewhat resurrected this thread as the S had been running fine since I changed the split throttle body hose but I had only covered around 20 miles and not run the car for a few months until I was taking it to the RS Day at Oulton Park on Friday. All was going well for around 10 miles when I got a rear blow out, then with the spare fitted I got going again for the problem I had at the start of this thread to reappear. It seems I haven't actually cured the issue, it just went away for a while.

As I was driving it started spluttering and kangarooing to the point it was undriveable and eventually stalled whilst on a dual carriageway. I left it a minute and it fired up again but it felt terrible so I drove for a couple of miles, parked it up and got recovery to take it back home. It does idle fine.

So I am at the point again where I need to eliminate what it could be, I'm now suspecting the ignition system as the fuel delivery has previously been tested fine.

I pulled the spark plugs, all look fine and have checked for Vacuum leaks again. I ohms tested the ignition leads and had 3.9 for all but the coil lead which was 1.0 ohms. I am not sure if this is a potential problem or if the coil lead has a different makeup somehow?

I have tested the coil and cleaned up various connections.

So I have ordered a crank sensor just to eliminate but I am still scratching my head with this, I would like to get a coil lead but this is impossible without buying a full set and a rather eye-watering price put me off just buying a set for testing purposes.
I'm also wondering if the knock sensor plugs that had exposed wiring and bad sensors are playing up even though I have changed them both out and fitted new plugs?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:42 pm 

If you now suspect ignition, there is a component that sometimes gets overlooked on the 16V engines: The ignition module located on the front of the passenger side front wheel arch - just behind the headlight mechanism. This is a rather exposed component that can suffer from corroded terminals and general damp issues. Always a good idea to remove the connector and clean the terminals on both the module and cable, then WD40 it. When I was working on my 'S', this module suffered from 'bad terminalitis' :shock: and the engine would sputter and die. Cleaned it all up and hasn't missed a beat since - 3+ years!

Worth doing even it if isn't the problem, as at least then you can eliminate it from the list of possible causes....

Black 1987 944S - Gone but not forgotten
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924
Minerva blue 1979 924

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:14 pm 

I am only suspecting the ignition due to the fuel system testing out OK and it giving out symptoms of ignition issues (along with others) I had never really checked the ignition system so it is an area to get checked out.

Funnily enough I did remove this module once I'd read about it (and found out what it was) on Monday, I always wondered what that unit was sat there behind the headlight?
All the terminals looked clean and without corrosion but I gave them a bit of a rub to clean them up a little more then WD40'd, they did look better though. I won't know if it did the trick yet as I won't be able to test drive the car again until Friday but I will let you know.

Did your ignition module have particularly badly corroded terminal?

I am currently testing my spark plugs and I have one over 5000 ohms, (all others 4300, 4500 and 4700) I read anything over 5000 is out of spec, I don't suspect this plug in reality but I do have an old plug to swap it with just to eliminate, again I won't know until Friday.

I also hope the CPS turns up Friday so I can change this out too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:55 am 

I finally got to the bottom of this as it seems to run totally fine and its the first time I've been able to get it rev all the way around to 7000rpm for a long while.

I cleaned the ignition module as previously said but I also changed the CPS that I was waiting for and when taking it for a spin it behaved perfectly.

I think the wiring on the CPS may have been at fault as on close inspection it is starting to break, as seen below.