Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: front wings off
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Just taken the n/s front wing off the 944 as I need access to the corner of the floor pan to repair some serious rot in the floor and sort out a scabby wing .The bottom of the front wings seems to be a real weak spot,both mine are are scabby.
With the wing off you can also check the inner frame for rot, in my case the n/s was in remarkably good shape .A wire brush , liberal amount of primer and underseal and it will be all set for another 30 years.Hope the other one is the same.
The reason for the post is to say to anyone contemplating taking the wings off but is daunted by the work involved , don't be, it really is quite straightforward.
I won't go into the 'how to' here as there is lots of good stuff on the 'net,just google '944 front wing removal'.
The most difficult bit is locating the 3 bolts that go through the back of the wing into the A post,they are covered in mastic so you can't see them.
You need to get some decent heat on the area inside the wing with a plumbing blow torch and scrape off the mastic when it gets soft.Unfortunately it catches light so
be careful when doing this bit.
Good luck.

Post subject: Re: front wings off
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 am 

Good info, my nearside is much better too. I just had a lot of work done on mine (nothing you can actually see?!?!) so the body work needs to be fixed for next to nothing just to make sense of it all. In some ways I wish I'd left it where it was but hey ho on we go :roll:

Post subject: Re: front wings off
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 pm 

Good luck.
I am finding the floor rot worse than I thought because the rotten bit I started on runs into an old repair which was not not done properly and is now totally scabby.
With this cut out as well I now have a hole about 50 cm long where the floor meets the inner sill and about 10 cm wide.
I just wish I could turn the car upside down to weld the new panel in !
At least it is not costing me anything which makes welding on your back just about bearable.